Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply?

Q. How do I apply to attend UNH?
A. You start the process by applying for admission through the Undergraduate Admissions Office, there is a separate application form for Veterans.  Go to the Admissions website and use the link, "Veterans and Non-Traditional Students". If you are interested in attending Graduate School, you will want to visit their website at


Q. Do I need to send SAT or ACT scores with my application?
A. No, they are optional

Q. Who do I submit the application to?
A.  If mailing in, UNH Admissions, 3 Garrison Avenue, Durham NH 03824.  The preferred method of submission is electronically if you have access to a computer.

Q.  Will I get credit for my military training?
A.  Maybe, once you submit your application and any transcripts from military schooling and from prior college work the admissions staff will let you know what you will be awarded for credits coming in.

Q. How do I transfer military education to UNH?
A. Go to the Joint Services Transcript page, and request an official transcript be sent to:  UNH Undergraduate Admissions, 3 Garrison Ave, Durham, NH  03824-3510.

Q. What documents am I required to submit with my application?
A.  Your official HS transcript and/or General Equivalency Test results, notarized residency statement and a copy of your DD214 and a letter of recommendation is optional but encouraged.

Questions about Education Benefits and How to Acess Them

Q. Who are the certifying officials at UNH and when do I contact them?
A.The certifying officials at UNH are the Veterans Coordinator, Lonn Sattler (603-862-1595) and Karina Locke, the Assistant Veterans Coordinator (603-862-0355).  You should contact them immediately upon acceptance into UNH. 

Q. Does UNH participate in the Yellow Ribbon program?
A. Yes, UNH does participate in the Yellow Ribbon program.  If you are a resident, the VA covers the full UNH tuition.  If you are not a New Hampshire resident, you will want to request a spot in the program, and we accept requests as soon as you put in your application.  You are then put on a waitlist and award you an available spot once you decide to attend UNH.  Contact Karina Locke if you would like to request a spot (603-862-0355).

Q. Are third party courses/schools covered by the GI Bill?
A. Third party programs are never covered by the VA.  All credits covered by the GI Bill must count toward your unmet credits for your degree program.  Contact Lonn Sattler or Karina Locke for specific circumstances.

Q. Are study abroad, summer or intercession credits eligible for coverage under the GI Bill?
A. You will first want to check in with your academic advisor to make sure these courses are meeting your unmet requirements.  Call the Veteran's Coordinators office for further info. (603-862-0355)

Q. Am I eligible for VA Benefits? I have Questions about VA Benefits:
A:  Refer the student to the toll-free VA Education Phone number: 1-888-442-4551 or Right Now Web on the GI Bill website.  Do not try to make determinations of eligibility, the programs change frequently, so it is best to refer the student directly to VA for questions about the programs.

Questions about the University

Q:  How do I change my address?
A: Go to the University Registrar website and fill out a directory information form:

Q: Does UNH offer an Orientation for Veterans?
A: In the Fall of 2013 there will be an orientation offered for Veterans and Non Traditional students on August 21st.

Q: Where can I learn about job opportunities?
A: The Financial Aid office maintains a list of all workstudy positions available, another option may be for you work in a VA workstudy position for the Veterans Coordinator, contact Karina Locke at (603) 862-0355 or for the Military and Veterans Support office, contact Karen Gilbert at (603) 862-3480. You may also want to check out Campus Recreation, the Memorial Union and Dining as they are large campus employers that hire both workstudy and non workstudy students.  Contact them directly by visiting the website or going to their main office.

Q: Are there any grant or scholarship resources available to veterans?
A: Yes, you should fill out the FAFSA form every year as it often provides you with opportunities for scholarships. The website is: Also, you can check out the STEM scholarship information on the Veterans website at and the University Financial Aid office may have suggestions for you also,

Q: How can I forward my UNH email to a personal email account such as gmail, yahoo, or hotmail?
A: All current students have "WildcatsMail" accounts provided by Microsoft. The Microsoft instructions on setting up the forwarding are at this website:

Q: Are there any other programs or services available while at UNH?  Is there a way to find other vets on campus?
A: The answer to both these questions is yes, through the Military & Veterans Service office in Thompson (T) Hall, rm. 102 or by calling either 862-3480 or 862-0911.