Property theft is one of the most reported crimes on campus. Protect yourself and your property by following basic precautions to reduce the opportunity for theft and increase the risk for a would-be thief.
Reduce Your Risk
- Never leave your possessions unattended. Opportunity theft is the most preventable crime on campus.
- Lock your dorm room door, even if you are only going to be gone for a moment. Most thefts occur in under a minute.
- Avoid leaving messages on your door advertising your departure or arrival.
- Carry only the personal information, cash and credit cards you need. Keep them secure in your wallet or purse.
- Immediately report incidents of theft, missing property or suspicious activity to University Police at (603) 862-1427 or by calling 911 if it is an emergency.
- Get to know your workplace and residence hall neighbors and watch out for each other.
- Keep a record of the serial numbers of all your valuable items. Learn more about item registration and electronics registrations in the Police Services section of this website.
- Never leave valuables, like GPS devices, visible in your car. Take them with you or secure them in your trunk.
Theft of bicycles and bicycle parts are common crimes on college campuses. To protect your bicycle:
- Always properly secure your bicycle frame to a bicycle rack or stationary object with an alloy hardened U-shaped lock, even if you're only going to be gone a minute. Most locking cables and chains, regardless of a hardened case, can be cut with bolt cutters.
- Immediately report suspicious activity near bicycle racks that you see.
- Register your bicycle with UNH Police Department.
- When possible, release the front wheel and secure together with the back tire. Remember to also secure removable seats.
- Keep records of serial number, description of bicycle, bill-of-sale, etc.
- If possible put your bicycle in bike storage room when not in use. Even in bicycle storage rooms the bike should be locked with a hardened U-shaped lock. Pay attention to the regulations on where to store your bicycle indoors; bicycles cannot be stored in hallways or stairways.