New UNH App Puts Campus at Your Fingertips
The UNH Mobile app is now available for Android devices. It contains 18 modules including a course catalog, directory, news and events feed, livestream of WUNH, maps, athletics, social media and more! Download the app from Google Play.
Free. Fun. Fantastic.
Access to all things UNH is available for Android devices through a new mobile app that has an 18 module suite with a customizable home screen (springboard personalization), granting users the ability to view only the modules they wish to use. Six of the modules link directly to UNH websites, leveraging the device's built-in browser. The other 12 modules live within the app suite.
UNH Mobile, developed as a collaborative effort between members of Information Technology and New & Emerging Media, was released in December 2012. The iOS (iPod, iPhone, iPad) version is in development and will be ready for use this spring.
The 18 modules include:
1. Athletics: features Wildcat news, providing instant access headlines, as well as up-to-the-minute scores, live stats, audio streaming, schedules, team information, rosters, TV/radio, and more.
2. Augmented Reality: location-based augmented reality module consumes the following AR channels: UNH map info, Wikipedia, Twitter.
3. Computer Labs: real-time computer availability in computer labs across campus. The module integrates with Maps app to show the building locations, directions, etc.
4. Courses: search UNH and UNHM course catalogs. Fall, spring, summer and J-Term courses are represented; courses are categorized by category, but can be broken down by online, general education, or Discovery. The bookmark feature allows users to keep track of courses of interest.
5. Dining: shows a 10-day menu forecast for Holloway, Stillings and Philbrook. Users can also search for and then select specific food items to view a recipe and an interactive nutritive analysis of their entire meal.
6. Directory: search student (requires Blackboard authentication and authorization) and employee directories.
7. Events: shows links to websites for upcoming UNH events, as well as the event calendar RSS feed.
8. Get help: displays emergency contacts including UNH and Durham police, Health Services and the IT service desk.
9. Learn: a link to the Blackboard Mobile Learn application. The Bb Learn app needs to be downloaded separately from Google Play to run within the UNH portal shell.
10. Map: campus map includes a “places” feature in which buildings and places are grouped by category (academic, athletics/recreation, landmarks, etc). The GPS/WiFi integration enables the app to detect your location and provide driving, walking or biking directions to your next destination.
11. News: mobile version of the Media Relations website; lists most recent news releases with links to searchable news archive. Also provides searchable directory for faculty experts.
12 Photos: gallery of UNH images.
13. Social Media: module is a link to the mobile version of the UNH Social Media website: www.unh.edu/social., and features a collective list of affiliated groups supported by UNH, including: Facebook, Twitter, Google+, YouTube, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Foursquare, Instagram and Flickr. Updated on a regular basis.
14. Transit: displays schedules for Campus Connector and Wildcat Transit, with full route information. The data integrates with your device's onboard map to pinpoint the locations of bus stops. In addition to providing directions to UNH (via bus, train, car and boat), the module also shows up-to-date information about vacation schedules, exceptions, late-night services, and more.
15. Videos: UNH YouTube videos, grouped by playlists. Videos can be bookmarked to create your own playlist. You can also search for videos and playlists that exist within the UNHVideo channel.
16. Virtual Tour: virtual tour of campus, dining halls, academic buildings, recreational offerings, and student life. It was recently optimized for mobile display featuring a swipe-enabled slideshow, with video / photo toggle view options.
17. Wildcat Link: the mobile version of the Wildcat Link website, wildcatlink.unh.edu, serves as a resource for student organizations at UNH, featuring an updated event listing and a student org directory with searchable fields.
18. WUNH 91.3FM: makes use of onboard media-streaming services to enable livestream of WUNH 91.3FM. The module interface also indicates which program is on air.
Originally published by: