You may be feeling overwhelmed and stressed with finals, but remember to take some time for yourself!
Today I’d like to discuss SHARPP’s YOU CAN HELP campaign. As we get ready for winter break, it’s important to remember the role of active bystanders. For those of you who do not know, YOU CAN HELP is about knowing your role as an active bystander at UNH and what it means to be a Wildcat.
YOU CAN HELP by being an active bystander. Nationally, one in four women and nearly one in 10 men will be sexually assaulted while in college. It is important that we look out for one another. We have to be aware of our surroundings, recognize the signs of potentially harmful situations and then know safe ways to intervene and help. Here are some steps to becoming an active bystander.
- Notice the situation: Be aware of your surroundings.
- Interpret it as a problem: Do I recognize that someone needs help?
- Feel responsible to act: See yourself as being part of the solution to help.
- Know what to do: Educate yourself on what to do.
- Intervene safely: Take action, but be sure to keep yourself safe.
Many people think that being an active bystander means you need to take HUGE actions, when in reality the smallest action can prevent a harmful situation from happening. For example if you are at a party and notice your friend is intoxicated and looks uncomfortable engaging with a person you are not familiar with, check in with them. You could say something like, “Hey will you come to the bathroom with me?” Or “ Look at this text I just got” to create distance between your friend and the other person. It is important to look out for each other and make UNH a safe community filled with people who are aware and care.
Want some more examples? One of SHARPP’s community educators, Kayla Goodwin, created this video for the YOU CAN HELP campaign. Check it out to find out how you can make a difference and raise attention toward this important topic.
Thank you, Kayla, for creating this video to spread the message that, as Wildcats, it is our job to look out for each another.
Here are more ways YOU CAN HELP here at UNH:
- Get consent for sexual activity each and every time.
- Form healthy and respectful relationships.
- Volunteer to make UNH a better, safer, more inclusive community.
- Support friends and community members who have been assaulted.
- Hold others accountable for their inappropriate behaviors.
- Get educated on the issues and know how to respond to help fellow Wildcats.
Remember, over winter break be an active bystander and know that SHARPP is still here for you.
Have a safe and happy holiday!