UNH Holiday Skating Party

UNH Holiday Skating Party

I have always believed that I was born without the grace of balance. I cannot walk, let alone ice skate. But today my considerations were justified at the UNH Holiday Skating Party. I learned that about 70% of children under the age of nine have better balance than I’ve ever exhibited in all of my 22 years. The other 30%? Just late bloomers. This evening I joined people of all ages at the Whittemore Center for some holiday fun, and remembered the days when I, too, would wear a helmet when I ice skated in fear of falling. I was able to witness the men and women’s hockey teams help children skate, sign autographs, and do a conga-line around the rink to various Christmas songs. Families, students, and staff filled the rink, laughing and enjoying some time off from studying for finals. UNH Holiday Skating Party

Since the “theme” was a New England tradition, around the rink children were able to create Maine lobster hand puppets, Vermont leaf headbands, and play Massachusetts-themed football toss. The New Hampshire table toted “Pin the Old Man on the Mountain.” Connecticut, the Lollipop State, allowed visitors to create their own lollipops, while Rhode Island held a boat race! The New England theme was summed up, though, with some New England Trivia. My favorite part was seeing children decorate picture frames to put their very own picture with Santa (I watched a very creative child decorate his with fire-breathing dinosaurs!)

It was awesome to watch families and friends enjoy themselves and take a break from their busy schedules to spend time with each other… I am still jealous over everyone’s skating skills though.