It’s getting to be that time of year again — class registration is coming up! The process can be complicated, whether you’re a first-year student or you’ve completed class registration several times. Here is everything you need to know when starting the process.
1. See what requirements you need to fulfill.
In addition to seeing what courses you need to complete your major, you’ll need to make sure you’re fulfilling all requirements for Discovery courses.
✔️ Inquiry course [IQ] May fulfill another Discovery requirement or departmental requirement as well. Should be taken within the first or second year.
✔️ Writing Intensive course [WI] Should be taken within the first year.
✔️ Quantitative Reasoning course [QR] Should be taken within the first year.
✔️ Discovery in the Disciplines Students must take one course from each Discovery category at the 400-600 levels.
- One course in Biological Science (BS)*
- One course in Physical Science (PS)*
- One course in Environment, Technology, and Society (ETS)
- One course in Fine and Performing Arts (FPA)
- One course in Historical Perspectives (HP)
- One course in Humanities (HUMA)
- One course in Social Science (SS)
- One course in World Cultures (WC) (also may be satisfied by approved study abroad programs)
*One of these courses must have a lab component (DLab).
TIP: Check out Degree Works on Webcat for a detailed description of your academic progress in your major and Discovery requirements. Here’s how to access it.
2. Browse the course list.
The UNH course search page will be one of the most useful sites you’ll visit as a Wildcat. Bookmark it! You can browse all the course offerings of UNH, but you’ll probably want to narrow down your search using the filter function. From the left-hand column, apply filters such as subject, attribute (course level, course attribute, etc.) and time and location (campus, day of the week, etc.).
TIP: Use the “course attribute” filter to see a list of classes that fulfill certain Discovery requirements.
3. Fill out a registration worksheet.
Pick up a course registration worksheet outside your department’s office or download it here. Make sure none of your chosen classes overlap – you may have to try a couple of different configurations!
TIP: Always have a backup class chosen in case your first-choice is full by the time you register.
4. Find out who your academic advisor is.
Find your advisor’s name
1. Go to blackboard.unh.edu and log in.
(Make sure you are in the UNH tab)
2. Select WEBCAT/Services Tab; click Continue button.
3. Select Student Records
4. Select View Major and Advisor
5. Select current term
Find their contact information
1. Go back to Blackboard homepage
2. Select MyUNH Resources
3. Select Faculty/Staff Directory
4. Type in your advisor’s name
TIP: Your advisor might change as you progress in your college career once you finish your provisional requirements.
5. Schedule an appointment and meet with your academic advisor.
They’ll approve your course selections or help you figure out what to take if you’re confused. They’ll also sign your registration worksheet and give you your RAC (Registration Access Code) and registration date and time.
- Log in to Wildcat Advising (use your UNH username and password)
- Select Appointment
- Select Request New Appointment
- Select Type of “COLA > UACC”
- At the bottom, select Check Availability
- Select the time that works for you (the sooner the better)
- Review request and click Submit
For all other students
- Contact your assigned advisor about how to schedule an appointment
- If you cannot find your assigned advisor, go to your major’s department office
TIP: Ideally, meet with your advisor before you’ve chosen all your classes. They’ll be happy to discuss your long-term goals and plans at any point, not just during the registration period!
Now that you have your RAC and registration time, you’re all set to register. Here are detailed instructions including a video tutorial. Best of luck!