Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Undergraduate Course Catalog 2016-2017

University Academic Requirements

« Degree Requirements

Requirements in this catalog apply to students who enter the University between July 1, 2016 and June 30, 2017. (Students who entered the University at an earlier time but who wish to change to the requirements of this catalog must apply to the appropriate office for the change.) Students will be held responsible for all work required for graduation and for the scheduling of all necessary courses.

Modifications tend to occur in major programs during the period of students’ undergraduate careers. Students are expected to conform to these changes insofar as they do not represent substantive alterations in their course of study.

Note: Although the University will try to provide sufficient facilities so that students may pursue any major or curriculum for which they meet the requirements, such a privilege cannot be guaranteed, since rapidly increasing enrollment sometimes results in the overcrowding of required specialized courses. On occasion, students may remain in a crowded curriculum if they are willing to take certain courses during the summer session.

Bachelor of Arts

  1. At least 128 credits in courses numbered 200-799, with a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 for all courses taken at the University in which a grade is given.
  2. Completion of Discovery Program (University core curriculum) requirements.
  3. Completion of the University writing requirement.
  4. Proficiency in a foreign language.This requirement may be fulfilled by completing the equivalent of a full-year elementary-level course in a language not previously studied, or by completing the equivalent of a semester of a course in a foreign language at the intermediate or higher level, or by earning credit through an approved Advanced Placement or College Board foreign language achievement test (minimum scores vary). The proficiency in a foreign language requirement must be satisfied by the end of the sophomore year. No credit is awarded for elementary year college coursework if the student has had two or more years of that language in high school. It is strongly advised that students check with academic departments to identify department-advised specific foreign language proficiency options.
    Note: A student with a documented disability who wishes accommodation on the basis that the disability will prevent him or her from successfully mastering a foreign language requirement, or whose foreign language requirement was waived in high school because of a documented disability, must contact the Disability Services for Students Office, Smith Hall, (603) 862-2607 (Voice/TDD).
  5. An approved major.



Bachelor of Fine Arts, Bachelor of Music

Requirements for the B.F.A. degree are outlined in the Department of Art and Art History, College of Liberal Arts; for the B.M. degree, go to the Department of Music, College of Liberal Arts.

Bachelor of Science

  1. At least 128 credits in courses numbered 200-799, with a cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 for all courses taken at the University in which a grade is given.
  2. Completion of Discovery Program (University core curriculum) requirements.
  3. Completion of the University writing requirement.
  4. For specific requirements, check individual departmental or program listings.
  5. An approved major.


Associate in Arts

For degree requirements, see the University of New Hampshire at Manchester.


Associate in Applied Science

For degree requirements, see the Thompson School of Applied Science.


Dual Degrees

The opportunity to pursue two undergraduate degrees simultaneously enhances and broadens the education of certain students. The program is only for those students who can adequately handle the requirements for two different degrees and who can reasonably allocate the additional time and effort needed for the program. Except for specific five-year degree programs, a student may not pursue two different degree levels simultaneously.


  1. Students desiring dual degrees must petition the college dean or deans involved for permission.
  2. Students must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative grade-point average.
  3. Students planning to take one degree in a highly prescribed curriculum should register as freshmen in the appropriate school or college for that curriculum.
  4. It is expected that candidates for two degrees will complete 32 credits beyond those required for the first degree.
  5. Students can earn more than one bachelor of science (B.S.) degree, provided that each degree is in a different field. Students cannot earn more than one bachelor of arts (B.A.) degree.
  6. Transfer students already holding a baccalaureate degree from another accredited institution may pursue an additional baccalaureate degree at the University of New Hampshire provided they fulfill the previously listed requirements. The degree received at the first institution will be accepted by UNH as awarded by that institution.

As soon as a student is accepted as a candidate for two degrees, the appropriate dean(s) will appoint supervisors for each of the proposed majors. The supervisors and the student will work out a basic course plan for the two degrees and inform the appropriate dual degree dean(s) of the plan. The supervisors will maintain joint control over the student’s academic program. The college offices and the supervisors will receive copies of grade reports and other records for students pursuing two degrees.

Minimum Graduation Average

A cumulative grade-point average of 2.0 in University of New Hampshire courses is the minimum acceptable level for undergraduate work in the University and for graduation. In addition, some majors require a grade-point average greater than 2.0 in certain courses or combinations of courses. The Academic Standards and Advising Committee examines the records of students periodically and may place academically deficient or potentially deficient students on warning, or may exclude, suspend, or dismiss those who are academically deficient.

Quota of Semester Credits

Students registering for more than 20 credits must receive the approval of the college dean. Additionally, students taking more than 20 credits in a single term will pay a per-credit surcharge.

Baccalaureate and associate in arts undergraduates are assigned class standing on the basis of semester credits of academic work completed with a passing grade, as follows: to be a sophomore, 26 credits; to be a junior, 58 credits; to be a senior, 90 credits.


"Residence" means being enrolled in University of New Hampshire (including UNH Manchester) courses after admission to and matriculation in a degree program. Students who are candidates for a bachelor's degree must attain the last one-quarter of total credits for the degree in residence unless granted permission by the Academic Standards and Advising Committee to transfer part of this work from other accredited institutions.

Leave of Absence or Withdrawal from the University

Students who leave the University are required to file formal notification with the Registrar.