Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Undergraduate Course Catalog 2016-2017

General Information

« Programs and Services for Students

From international education to residential life, academic advising to internships and writing, the University offers programs and services to help every student get the most out of his or her college experience.

Advising Services

Every UNH student is assigned an academic adviser, who provides help in choosing courses and planning a program of study. Each college within the University also has an advising office. Other sources of help, for academic or personal problems, are described below.

Center for Academic Resources (CFAR) 
The mission of the Center for Academic Resources is to support undergraduate students in their transition to college academics and as they continue in their courses of study. Our expert professional and student staff help students take on academic challenges, learn from setbacks, and actively develop new strategies that enhance their learning. We offer instruction in learning skills and study strategies in small-group and individualized settings. Professional academic counselors advise students on a range of academic topics, help students to clarify their academic goals, and work with students to devise action plans to meet their educational goals. The center also provides resources and information about additional academic support available on campus and online. Our comprehensive program of academic services for students is offered at no additional cost, and we serve approximately 1,600 students each year.

A federally funded program, TRIO Student Support Services (SSS), provides additional services to students who meet eligibility requirements. The goal of the SSS program is to increase retention and graduation rates for students enrolled in four-year programs who have a high financial need and who are first in their families to go to college, or who have documented disabilities. 

The U.S. Department of Education provides 80 percent of the funding for UNH TRIO Student Support Services; UNH funds the remaining 20 percent. (In the 20015-16 academic year, $319,203 and $82,197, respectively.)

Located on the second floor of Smith Hall, the center is open weekdays from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and evenings by appointment. For further information call (603) 862-3698 (voice/TTY), fax (603) 862-4043, or visit the website at

Counseling Center
The Counseling Center offers confidential professional consultation, individual and group therapy, and educational workshops for a broad range of emotional, psychological, and interpersonal concerns. Services are provided for all students who have paid their health services/counseling fee and who may be facing a major crisis, confusion, depression, family difficulties, or other personal problems.

The center provides a scheduled intake system. Intake appointments can be made over the phone or in person. In addition, emergency services are offered by the Counseling Center during regular business hours, 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m., Monday through Friday, and after hours by calling the Counseling Center at (603) 862-2090. When necessary, the center’s staff assists with outside mental health referrals.

The staff, which includes licensed psychologists, counselors, and consulting psychiatrists, is committed to the welfare and development of UNH students. The staff is available for consultation with faculty, administrative staff, and parents on matters relating to the welfare of students. The Counseling Center is fully accredited by the International Association of Counseling Services, Inc. and offers a predoctoral internship training program that is accredited by the American Psychological Association.

All information about a student’s visits to the Counseling Center is confidential and cannot be released without the written permission of the student.

For information or to schedule an appointment, call (603) 862-2090 or visit the Counseling Center’s website at

Athletics, Men's and Women's

UNH participates in the following intercollegiate men’s athletics programs: basketball, cross country, football, ice hockey, skiing, soccer, and track and field. UNH also participates in the following intercollegiate women’s athletics programs: basketball, cross country, field hockey, gymnastics, ice hockey, lacrosse, skiing, soccer, swimming, track and field, and volleyball. An undergraduate ID provides access to sporting events; football and men’s hockey require picking up a ticket. (See also Campus Recreation.)

Cat's Cache

Cat’s Cache is a debit account accessed with a UNH ID card. Cat’s Cache is a convenient way to make purchases on-campus at many locations including all UNH dining operations, the UNH bookstore, most vending machines, and the pro shop at the Hamel Recreation Center, as well as many off-campus merchants. Cat’s Cache is available to all campus community members including students, faculty, and staff.

All UNH undergraduate student ID cardholders have a Cat’s Cache account. Graduate students, faculty, and staff members need to request an account before making a deposit. To make a deposit, use one of our convenient account management centers with cash or a credit or debit card, go to with a credit or debit card, or visit in person at the Dining and ID Office located in Room 101 of Holloway Commons with cash or a check.

Cat’s Cache accounts have no minimum balance and no fees of any kind. Cat’s Cache is fully refundable upon request without penalty, but the entire balance must be refunded at once. After students have graduated or left UNH, any remaining Cat’s Cache balance of $10 or more will be refunded to the student account. A refund of any balance under $10 will be waived unless the student requests that refund before the account is closed.  Accounts of graduated and withdrawn students are typically closed no later than 30 days after separation from UNH. Refund requests for Cat’s Cache balances under $10 should be made to the UNH Dining/ID Office in room 101 of Holloway Commons.

Cat’s Cache is intended for purchases and not for cash withdrawals as an ATM card would allow. Students cannot withdraw cash from their accounts unless they withdraw the entire amount. There is a limit of two withdrawals per semester. For more information about Cat's Cache, visit and follow the Cat's Cache links.

Information Technology (IT)

UNH Information Technology (IT)

Computer Access.  UNH has approximately 200 public computers in four student computing clusters and throughout Dimond Library. Many department-owned computer labs also exist. The public clusters provide a suite of productivity and design software, access to the Internet, many course-specific software applications, flat-bed scanners, and personal network storage for documents. Spaces specifically designed for group work and available. Paid printing services allow users to print in both black and color. The Dimond Library also houses a dedicated media lab for work with video, audio, and other forms of rich media. For information and cluster hours, visit

Parker Media Lab. The Parker Media Lab in Dimond Library is available for all students to use. The lab includes high-end audio and video editing workstations along with digital editing software and dedicated staff to assist students with course-related and personal projects. The lab also offers a range of camcorders, audio recorders, and associated equipment for students to borrow. Details can be found at

Computer Store Tech Connect. The UNH Computer Store Tech Connect offers UNH students, faculty, and staff access to the highest quality, standardized computer products and services, coupled with expert advice and excellent customer service. The store carries Apple and Dell computers; tablets, including iPads; laser and ink jet printers and cartridges; heavily discounted software; and a variety of other supplies and peripherals at educational pricing. Speak to a live staff member at (603) 862-1328 or visit online at The store is conveniently located on Level 2 of the MUB, across from the student package-pickup window. In addition, there are vending machines throughout campus offering a range of supplies students might need on the go, including batteries, index cards, headphones, and more.

Computer Repair. UNH Computer Repair Services provides warranty service and computer maintenance and repair. Computer Repair Services is conveniently located next to the Computer Store at the MUB, Level 2, East, across from the student mailboxes. For more information, call (603) 862-4242 or visit

Technology Support. UNH IT provides support for UNH’s wireless connectivity, email, computing accounts, supported software applications, and other IT needs. 

Contact IT Support:

By Phone
IT Service Desk 

(603) 862-4242

In Person
Dimond Academic Commons AT Support Center
Dimond Library, Level 3 (Main Level)

Online Webform



Disability Services for Students

Disability Services for Students (DSS) is committed to establishing a community that ensures full participation for students, and providing assistance that will facilitate independence and academic progress. The office is responsible for determining and ensuring academic and housing accommodations. In addition, we are a source of information and referral; a resource and collaborative partner for the campus community; and a point of support and advocacy regarding access issues in general.

Self-identifying with DSS is the first step in both gathering useful information—what DSS offers and what other resources exist—and establishing accommodations. You will need to provide documentation, make an appointment to review/discuss it, and identify appropriate accommodations. Creating a faculty accommodation letter is part of that process. Please see the Documentation Guidelines for direction on what to provide. If you are unsure, submit/bring whatever you may have so we can review and evaluate it.

There is no deadline to make contact, complete an intake, or provide documentation. Also, the process of identifying and determining accommodations is an ongoing conversation. Students should provide additional documentation and/or talk with DSS as concerns and needs arise, or as the condition of the disability changes. 

We invite you to connect with us to learn first-hand about the variety of options available to students with disabilities ( Please visit the DSS website to learn more about the office. Disability Services for Students is located in Smith Hall, Room 201, (603) 862-2607 (voice), 711 (TTY) or 800-735-2964 (Relay NH); (603) 862-4043 (fax), or e-mail

General Information for Students with Disabilities

Students seeking academic accommodations, services, and accessibility should contact Disability Services for Students (DSS): voice (603) 862-2607; TTY Users: 7-1-1 or 800-735-2964 (Relay NH);

Most major buildings have ramps and many have elevators and adapted restroom facilities. Contact DSS, (603) 862-2607, or Affirmative Action, (603) 862-2930, with questions about building facilities. 

Students with disabilities may use state-issued accessible parking permits in visitor lots and at metered parking (free). State permits are available through a student's home state (Department of Motor Vehicles [DMV]). Please note: on-campus parking in restricted lots ("permit required") requires BOTH the state-issued accessible permit and a UNH campus permit. Questions about temporary accessible parking should be directed to Parking Services at (603) 862-1010. 

For information about dietary restrictions and needs as an accommodation, please see

Students with disabilities who need accessible UNH housing should contact DSS early to allow for identification of appropriate accommodation(s) and notification from DSS to Housing. Wildcat Access Van is a demand-response system that operates within the service area of the Wildcat Transit routes. All of the fixed route buses are lift-equipped. For information on this service or for the special arrangements possible during periods of inclement weather, please contact Disability Services for Students, (603) 862-2607. 

All B.A. candidates must fulfill the University's foreign language requirement by the end of their sophomore year. A student with a documented disability may petition the foreign language board for course substitutions on the basis of that disability. Contact Disability Services for Students to learn about the process. 

No otherwise qualified individual may be excluded from or denied access to any program, course of study, or any other offering of the University solely on the basis of a disability. Concerns regarding the institution's compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Amendments Act (ADAA) of 2008, or Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973 should be addressed to the ADA/504 Compliance Officer in the Affirmative Action Office at (603) 862-2930 (Voice/TTY).

Greek Life at UNH

Greek life at UNH has a long and rich history, with the first fraternity founded in 1881 and the first sorority founded in 1913. Today, the Greek community at UNH has more than 1,350 members, representing about ten percent of the student body. The Greek community is made up of five National Panhellenic Conference sororities, eleven North American Interfraternity Conference fraternities, a National Multicultural Greek Council sorority, an agricultural sorority, and a co-ed society. The governing bodies for the majority of these organizations are the Interfraternity and Panhellenic Councils and the United Greek Association. As values-based organizations, fraternities and sororities are committed to intellectual growth, leadership and campus/community involvement, social development, philanthropy and community service, and friendship.

Believing that involvement in or with a Greek organization can promote learning, development, and growth, the Office of Greek Life aims to cultivate a values-based and inclusive Greek community of excellence at UNH. This office is staffed by a full-time coordinator and several student interns. More information about the UNH Greek community can be found by visiting the Office of Greek Life at the Memorial Union Building, Office of Student Involvement and Leadership (Room 114), visiting, or by calling (603) 862-1002.

Honor Societies

The University of New Hampshire has a long and valued tradition of recognizing outstanding student academic achievement through election to a variety of honor societies. Some of these national societies recognize performance in any academic field, while others are limited to specific disciplines.  

Honor societies are most prevalent in colleges and universities, and invitation to become a member is based on varying criteria, including high academic achievement and leadership activities. Students are most commonly invited to join in their junior or senior year. Although students are initiated into the campus chapter, they become members of the national society for life.

Discipline Society Name and Sash/Stole/Cord Color UNH Contact


Chi Alpha Sigma
Black and Gold Cord
Joanne Maldari


Kappa Kappa Psi
Blue and White Cord
Casey Goodwin

Biological Sciences

Phi Sigma
Yellow, Green and White Cord
Estelle Hrabak


Beta Gamma Sigma
Gold and Blue Cord
Eleanne S. Dowd


Golden Key
Blue and Gold Sash
Marianne Fortescue and Sylvia Foster


Eta Sigma Phi
Gold and Purple Cord
Richard Clairmont and R. Scott Smith


Lambda Pi Eta
Red, White and Gold Cord
Joshua Meyrowitz

Computer Science

Upsilon Pi Epsilon
Maroon and White Cord
Radim Bartos


Omicron Delta Epsilon
Gold and Blue Cord
Marc Herold


Tau Beta Pi
Orange and White Cord
Michael Carter


UNH Society of Women Engineers
Green and Yellow Stole
May-Win Thein


Sigma Tau Delta
Cardinal and Black Cord
Carla Cannizzaro


Order of Omega
Gold and Ivory
MaryAnne Lustgraaf

Health Pre-Profession

Alpha Epsilon Delta
Purple and Red Cord
Mary K. Lockwood


Phi Alpha Theta
Red and Blue Cord
Cathy Frierson

Hospitality and Tourism

Eta Sigma Delta
Clayton Barrows and Dan Innis

Justice Studies

Alpha Phi Sigma
Blue and Gold
Ellen Cohn

Liberal Arts and Sciences

Phi Beta Kappa
Pink and Blue Cord
Matty Leighton


Pi Mu Epsilon
Gold, Purple and Lilac Cord
Ellen O'Keefe

Natural Resources

Xi Sigma Pi
Green and White Cord
Pete Pekins


Sigma Theta Tau
Orchid and White
Joyce Cappiello

Political Science

Pi Sigma Alpha
Red, White and Black Cord
Stacy VanDeveer


Psi Chi
Platinum and Dark Blue
Carolyn Mebert

Social Work

Phi Alpha
Gold Cord
Gretchen Bean


Alpha Kappa Delta
Teal Cord
Rebecca Glauber


International Students and Scholars

The Office of International Students and Scholars (OISS) promotes international education at UNH by facilitating the enrollment and employment of foreign nationals and by providing them with essential support services. The OISS coordinates programs that encourage interaction among the international, campus, and local communities, thereby fostering awareness and appreciation of other cultures. It is the responsibility of the OISS to ensure University compliance with U.S. immigration and employment regulations and to support international students, exchange scholars, faculty, and staff in the achievement of their academic and professional goals.

The OISS staff provides immigration advising, information on University policies, administrative support, and referral services. A variety of social and educational programming activities are offered, including orientation for incoming students, faculty, and staff, and others designed to enhance student interaction with the broader community. For more information on programs and services, visit and To schedule an appointment, call (603) 862-1288 or send an e-mail to

All international students are encouraged to maintain contact with the OISS and are required by law to report changes of address, academic program, or source of educational funds.

Multicultural Student Affairs

The Office of Multicultural Student Affairs (OMSA) creates opportunities for people to participate in an inclusive community and to explore and understand diversity, social justice, inclusion, and equity. OMSA's work is grounded in an understanding of diversity that includes people of all abilities, ages, ethnicities, genders, nationalities, races, religions/spiritual traditions, socioeconomic classes, and sexualities.

Providing support and development for Asian/Asian American/Pacific Islanders; Black/African American/Caribbean/African; Latino/Latina/Hispanic; Middle Eastern/Middle Eastern American; Native American/First Nations; multiracial students; lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, questioning students; and first-generation college students as well as ally students is a key focus of OMSA's work.

OMSA offers cultural and educational programs to all students; offers opportunities for exploring leadership potential within a multicultural and social justice context; provides support and advocacy for students as well as coordinating support from additional colleagues, programs, and offices on campus; gets students connected; helps students to learn more about race, sexuality, gender, class, and other social identities; responds to acts of bias; and helps all members of the University community to feel safe and welcome at UNH. OMSA's work encompasses professional development opportunities for colleagues as well.

The office provides computers for student use, social and study space, a media library, and educational resources and support for faculty and staff. Staff members include the director, the assistant director/coordinator of LGBTQA+ initiatives, and the multicultural coordinator. For more information, stop by the office in Room 327 of the Memorial Union Building (MUB), phone (603) 862-0324, or e-mail

Nontraditional Student Services

Since the 1970s, the nontraditional student population at the University of New Hampshire has been an active and engaged part of the student body. These students remain dedicated to their education, to their families, and to helping one another deal with issues and concerns often experienced by those having challenging lives apart from a university setting.

To assure that the University and its activities respond to the needs, desires, and lives of nontraditional students, Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services provides support, resources, and services.

Commuter and Non-Traditional Student Services is located in the Office of Student Involvement and Leadership, within the Memorial Union Building, room 122. Information about services, resources, campus, and local communities can be found at or by calling (603) 862-0303.

Office of Community Standards

The Office of Community Standards administers the student conduct process. Through the Student Code of Conduct, the office maintains community standards of behavior that are intended to preserve and protect the University’s educational mission of teaching, research, and public service, as well as to promote the student’s academic achievement and personal development. To attain these aspirations, students must live, work, and learn in an environment of civility and respect where both rights and responsibilities are deeply valued. For the University community to thrive, the rules of conduct must be clear and understood by all members of the community. The Student Code of Conduct codifies and explains community standards of behavior and responsibility, as well as the rights and remedies accorded to all members of the community. It is available online at

More specific information regarding the Student Code of Conduct and the conduct process can be found in Student Rights, Rules and Responsibilities. For more information, please call the Office of Community Standards at (603) 862-3377, or visit the website at

President's Commission on the Status of People with Disabilities

The President's Commission on the Status of People with Disabilities promotes empowerment and inclusion of UNH students, faculty, staff, and guests with invisible and/or apparent disabilities by working on the goal of universal access. Its mission is to assess disability-related issues, services, attitudes, and practices in the creative engagement of diversity and advocate for an accessible environment for all students. The Office of Community, Equity, and Diversity oversees commission initiatives in Thompson Hall G14. Call (603) 862-1058 or visit the Disabilities Commission web page at

A central resource for people with disabilities on campus is the Office of Disability Services for Students, located at 201 Smith Hall on 3 Garrison Avenue, (603) 862-2607 (711 TTY; 800-735-2964 NH Relay ); (603) 862-4043 (fax); or e-mail Find the Disability Services office on the web at

President's Commission on the Status of People of Color

The UNH President’s Commission on the Status of People of Color, housed under The Office of Community, Equity, and Diversity, advocates for the recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students from under-represented groups. It provides educational programs and encourages curriculum development to promote equity and inclusion of diverse voices and cultures. Established in 1997 as an advocacy group, it works to establish effective and collaborative relationships among departments, offices, committees, commissions, and special programs that play a role in fostering diversity on campus and ensuring that the environment is supportive of diverse populations. The commission is located in Thompson Hall G14. Call (603) 862-1058 or visit the commission’s web page at for more information.

President's Commission on the Status of GLBT Issues

The mission of the UNH President’s Commission on the Status of Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer+ People is to facilitate the development of a University community that understands and appreciates the values of equity and inclusion in campus life. The commission accomplishes its goals through advocacy, education, and activism in support of the full participation of people of all sexual orientations, gender identities, and gender expressions.

Established in 1992, the commission meets monthly during the academic year. Its membership includes lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer+, as well as allied University faculty, staff, and students who are appointed by the president. Students from the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer+, and allied community who are interested in participating on the commission are encouraged to contact the chair. The commission works under the umbrella organization of The Office of Community, Equity, and Diversity. Call (603) 862-1058, or visit the commission’s web page at

President's Commission on the Status of Women

The mission of the UNH President’s Commission on the Status of Women is to create equal employment and educational opportunities for all UNH women by promoting an environment free of sexism and discrimination through policy, advocacy, and education. It continues to build a learning community that engages a diversity of experiences to invite equity and inclusion in the curriculum, classroom, programming, and workplace. Established in February 1972, the commission collects information on the status of UNH women and informs the community of its findings. Located in Thompson Hall and housed under The Office of Community, Equity, and Diversity, the commission also maintains a Facebook page for those interested in its activities and programs. Call (603) 862-1058 or visit the commission’s web page at for more information.

Police, University

The University Police Department is committed to enforcing the laws of the state of New Hampshire and University policies while supporting the rights and dignity of all persons and maintaining a campus environment in which learning may thrive. Officers, professionally trained in their respective areas, staff both the Police and Support Services divisions. The department holds accreditation from both CALEA and IACLEA.

University Police Department personnel participate in a number of safety programs for the UNH community including adopt-a-dorm and a nationally recognized women’s self-defense program called R.A.D.—the Rape Aggression Defense Basic Personal Defense System. Department personnel will meet with groups to provide crime prevention information and tips for increasing personal safety and protection of personal property. A walking patrol provides an escort service for students, faculty, and staff. Engraving pencils to inscribe identification numbers on property in case of theft are loaned free of charge to members of the campus community. To take advantage of any of these services, contact the University Police Department, (603) 862-1427.

Residential Life

Residential Life staff members focus on integrating students’ learning outside the classroom with traditional learning in the classroom. Staff members work with students, helping them to succeed academically, become positively involved in the hall and University community, and make friends. They accomplish this by providing students with social and educational opportunities, along with daily interaction.

The Residential Life staff includes a director, a team of 30 professional staff members, and 150 resident assistants (RAs) who are a carefully selected group of undergraduate and graduate students. Each residence hall is staffed with at least one full-time professional and several resident assistants.

The director of residential life also serves as assistant vice president for student life. In addition, Residential Life staff members often initiate responses to individual student emergencies. The assistant vice president also assumes co-responsibility for leadership development, establishing joint ventures with academic programs, orienting new students to the University, and educational and social programming.

Students are welcome to stop by the Residential Life Office, located in 13A Hitchcock Hall, or call (603) 862-2268 for more information.

Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention Program (SHARPP)

SHARPP is a University of New Hampshire-based crisis intervention center dedicated to providing free and confidential services to survivors of sexual assault, relationship abuse, sexual harassment, childhood sexual abuse, and stalking, and their allies. In addition, SHARPP’s outreach program provides education and awareness programs on sexual and relationship violence to the greater University of New Hampshire community. SHARPP’s services are largely supported by volunteers. Volunteering for SHARPP provides many opportunities for hands-on experience working with survivors and for the development of leadership skills.

SHARPP’s direct services include a 24-hour crisis line, emergency medical accompaniment, criminal justice and University judicial support, systems advocacy, academic intervention, support groups, and information and referrals. SHARPP also provides crisis services and support for those who are close to the survivor, including roommates, parents, friends, family members, and instructors.

SHARPP’s outreach program provides the highest quality awareness and educational programming, including education programs for students in the residential halls, classrooms, and Greek life, and orientation activities and training for athletic teams, student organizations, and faculty and staff. SHARPP also sponsors awareness events and activities throughout the year.

The SHARPP office is located at Wolff House, in front of Health Services at the corner of Pettee Brook and Main Streets. The office is open Monday through Friday, 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. The website is and features Ask an Advocate, an online resource for help and information. SHARPP's support line and administrative number is (603) 862-3494. SHARPP is also available through a toll free number at 1-888-271-7233 and by TTY at 1-800-735-2964. After hours, all calls will be returned by a trained advocate within 10 minutes. All calls are free and confidential.

Student Life

The University of New Hampshire is committed to providing our students with an innovative, high-quality, coherent, and integrated educational experience. Fulfilling this commitment requires us to create a learning environment that offers students the greatest opportunity to grow and to test the relevance and the effectiveness of what they are learning. Such an approach to higher education also requires that we provide the support and direction necessary for the success of students’ endeavors.

Student Life, a community of student affairs professionals, forges integral links between the academic and non-academic aspects of students' lives, creates better connections between the curriculum and co-curricular experiences, and fosters high expectations for academic and personal excellence for all students. Student Life professionals contribute to the intellectual, personal, and social development that produces graduates who are well educated, well adjusted, and prepared to contribute to their communities and society with knowledge, professional competence, social awareness, the capacity for effective civic engagement, and respect and understanding for the diversity of people and the world around them.

The office of the senior vice provost and dean of students provides students with information, direction, and assistance in problem resolution. For more information or assistance, call the office at (603) 862-2053 or visit our website at

University Advising and Career Center

The University Advising and Career Center, Hood House, (603) 862-2064, provides academic advising to undeclared students in the College of Liberal Arts and provisional English and provisional psychology majors. It supports all students and alumni in career exploration. The center’s professional staff provides assistance to students in clarifying their interests and skills as they relate to developing a program of study at the University and declaring a major, offering opportunities to explore career possibilities, and aiding in securing employment. The Jackson Career Explorer is offered to help individuals identify potential majors and careers. An internship office helps students explore career possibilities. Internship and job opportunities are posted online in the Center's Wildcat Careers. Additionally, the center sponsors fairs and activities that bring students into contact with prospective employers and internship opportunities, and help to prepare students for careers.

The center is also the campus resource for students seeking admission to medical and related health profession schools and law school. More broadly, the center assists students considering graduate education, sponsors graduate and professional school fairs, administers national tests for post-baccalaureate study, and guides individuals to resources across the University.

University Internships

Supported by the federally funded Job Locator Development Program, the internship office in the University Advising and Career Center helps students locate preprofessional internships in settings ranging from traditional business and research facilities to more uniquely tailored environments that reflect academic and career interests. Students who wish to engage in career-oriented work experiences for credit should consult with an appropriate faculty sponsor regarding the possibility of receiving academic credit.

Students who wish to secure internships should consult the internship postings listed on the Wildcat Careers link on the center’s website. Postings are also listed in the center. Several academic departments also have internship listings posted.

For more information regarding internships, consult the center’s website at or contact the center at (603) 862-2064.

Veterans Information

UNH Military & Veterans Services, located in Thompson Hall, Room 301 and at (603) 862-0643, provides counseling on all aspects of veterans benefits and assistance in procuring and completing the required forms and certifications for veterans benefits. We maintain a comprehensive directory to assist veterans in contacting state, local, and University resources for housing, day care, career planning, employment, financial aid, tutorial assistance, remedial training, handicapped services, VA vocational rehabilitation, and veterans outreach. UNH Military & Veterans Services also provides a framework for networking among campus veterans. For further information, go to or e-mail

University Writing Program

The University writing program is dedicated to making all UNH students successful writers. The University writing committee and program staff research, organize, develop, and support a wide range of activities that help students and faculty. The writing program conducts routine and directed assessments of the University writing requirement and the writing-intensive (WI) courses that all undergraduates must take. The writing committee reviews applications for WI course status as well as student petitions and transfer courses for writing-intensive credit. Frequent seminars, workshops, and classes offer both faculty and students the opportunity to learn more about writing, teaching with writing, and emerging technologies for writing.

Robert J. Connors Writing Center

The Robert J. Connors Writing Center provides individual writing conferences to members of the University community. Collaborating on writing helps students excel in classes and beyond. Writers of all skill levels are encouraged to visit the center to have conversations about their writing. Peer tutors are trained to help students with writing issues from thesis clarity to sentence structure to questions about genre writing and citation styles.

The Connors Writing Center stresses a focus on higher level concerns such as organization, development of ideas, and clarity, but writing assistants are also equipped to discuss sentence-level concerns such as grammar and punctuation. The center welcomes all students, including those whose first language is not English. Writing assistants are trained to work with ESL and EFL students of all levels.

The center offers one-on-one conferences by appointment or by walk-in. Conferences are free and usually last about 50 minutes. The writer’s goals set the course for the conference, and students decide whether tutors communicate the results of the conference to their instructors.

Students may call (603) 862-3272 for an appointment or visit the Writing Center in Hamilton Smith, room 7. The Writing Center also offers a satellite location at Dimond Library. Visit the writing program’s website at