Students: Job Shadow
Job Shadowing for UNH Students
- By participating in job shadowing, you can learn about potential careers by ‘shadowing’ professionals and observing their daily routines and activities for a day.
- Through this program you will have the opportunity to observe professionals in diverse job-related functions, and ask questions to learn about and clarify your career interests. Job shadowing will help you achieve a better understanding of various careers by experiencing them first hand to gain direct insights into professions that can help you determine your own path.
- Like other ways to gain knowledge about potential career paths – informational interviews, and internships – the more you prepare for your job shadow experience, the greater the benefit to you.
- It is a possibility that your job shadow host could also be a potential employer one day. Whether this becomes a reality or not, it is important to make a good impression.
Tips to help make the most of your experience
Research the Company and the Job
- Information can be found on the company website, Linkedin, journal articles, and other forms of media.
- The questions you ask your host should indicate that you have already done your research and that you already have a knowledge foundation on which to build.
- Prepare your questions ahead of time and arrange them in the order that you hope to ask them – what is most important for you to learn?
- It’s best to have them written out and to take notes on the responses.
- You are entering a work environment, so professional attire is necessary to make a good first impression.
Also - you are their “shadow” and should not stand out because you’re wearing inappropriate attire.
Arrival on Site
- Plan to arrive at the location early. If you are at all uncertain about the location, call ahead of time to get directions.
- Make sure you have your host’s name and phone number if you need to contact them if you get lost.
- Shake hands, smile, and be yourself!
- Remember that your job shadow hosts have volunteered to participate; they want to talk to you and help you.
During the Job Shadowing Experience
- Stay focused on your host’s job and industry.
- Show your interest and enthusiasm when speaking with your host.
- Don’t lose valuable time by asking questions that are not related to your career interests or can be more easily answered in another setting.
- *Never ask for an internship during this process - this is not the goal of a job shadowing experience.
- Send a ‘thank you’ email to your job shadow host the same day or next day – appropriate professional etiquette that will leave them with a positive impression of you.
- Academic Advising
- "How To" Videos
- Explore UNH Majors and Courses
- Add/Drop a Course
- Prepare for Your Appointment
- GPA Calculator
- Student 4 Year Planner
- Potential Careers for Your Major
- Important Meetings/Deadlines
- Professional/Grad School Advising
- Careers & Jobs
- Posting Jobs and Internships
- On Campus Recruiting
- Career & Internship Fairs
- Corporate Sponsorship
- Career & Job Resources
- Internship Resources
- Host a Job Shadow
- Careers & Disabilities
- Career Resources for International Students
- Career Resources for Service Members & Veterans
- Career Resources for Women
- Diversity Career Resources
- Diversity Network Program
- LGBTQ Career Resources