Internships - Types: Paid, Unpaid, Academic Credit

Paid Internship


  • Students receive an hourly wage (equivalent or greater than the NH state minimum wage) or stipend over the course of their internship


  • Employers receive qualified and motivated candidates for their roles


Unpaid Internship


  • Students will gain valuable knowlege, skills, and working experience to add to their resume


  • Employers need approval through the New Hampshire Department of Labor (NHDOL) before posting
    -Go to

  • Complete the ‘Pre-Screening Form’ under the School-to-Work section of the FAQ page

  • Also complete the 'Approval Form for Non-Paid Work-Based Activities'

  • Contact the NH DOL (603) 271-0127 with any questions


Internship for Academic Credit


  • If you want academic credit for your internship, you will need to obtain a faculty sponsor from your major or minor department

  • Fill out Earning Academic Credit for Internship Experience, a proposal outline that you can adapt and use when approaching potential faculty sponsors to seek their guidance and approval for academic credit

  • Be prepared to answer their questions, especially when asked what your learning goals are and how the particular internship experience relates to your major area of study

  • You and your faculty sponsor will complete the appropriate paperwork

  • To be eligible for credit, the internship must relate to your academic major or minor

  • Some departments have additional criteria that students must meet to be eligible for internship credit

  • Academic credit internships generally begin and end on the semester schedule

  • Just like a class, you will sign up for your internship through The Registrar's Office and pay for the credit hours earned


  • Sign off on the students hours each week for them to present to his or her advisor