Advising Handbook - CHHS

This is for Faculty/Staff use only. Check with department for official information.

College of Health and Human Services

Michael Ferrara, Dean,, 2-1178

Neil Vroman, Associate Dean,,  2-1177

Pamela Thomas, Academic Counselor,, 2-1177

217 Hewitt Hall

 MajorAdvising ContactDeclaration/Application Rule

Athletic Training

Prof. Dan Sedory
NH Hall 113

Successful completion of KIN 506 and 507 (BMS 507 is a pre- or co-requisite to KIN 506 and KIN 507) and BMS 507 and BMS 508 with a minimum grade of C.  Athletic Training Room observation, conference with Major Coordinator, essay of interest, and two letters of recommendation are also required. Admission is competitive and occurs at the end of each academic year. Deadline for submitting application materials is April 15. Detailed application process and policies at

Communication Sciences and Disorders

Prof. Penny Webster
Hewitt Hall 155

Decisions regarding admission of internal transfers to the CSD major are made by the Department of Communication Sciences and Disorders. Students seeking admission to the program must submit an Application for Internal Transfer to the Department’s Administrative Assistant along with copies of their unofficial college transcript(s) that list all courses and corresponding grades earned to date.  Applications are available in Hewitt Hall room 181. Students are encouraged to have a cumulative grade-point average of a 3.50 or higher to be considered a strong applicant.

It is important to note that the quality of the applicant pool and number of spaces available in the major at the application deadline will impact who is admitted as an internal transfer student.  The fall application deadline is October 1. The spring semester deadline is March 1. Decisions will be made prior to registration. 

Health Management & Policy

Prof. Rosemary Caron      Hewitt Hall 319

All application information and procedures should be secured from the Office of Health Management and Policy, Hewitt Hall 319, 2-2653. Students interested in an internal transfer to Health Management should make an appointment with Professor Rosemary Caron. Applications should be submitted to the department main office before the end of the semester.

Human Development & Family Studies

Melissa Leavey
Pettee Hall 218

Students interested in a HDFS major should speak with Melissa Leavy regarding the different specializations. Students interested in an internal transfer to Human Development and Family Studies can download an application form The fall application deadline is October 1 and the spring semester deadline is March 1. Decisions will be made by HDFS faculty prior to registration.  To be considered, students must have a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.2 for the child advocacy & family policy, family support/CFLE, or lifespan development specializations, and a 2.6 for the child development specialization.

Kinesiology: Exercise Science

Prof. Timothy Quinn
NH Hall 119

Successful Completion of BMS 507, BMS 508, and KIN 620 with a B- or better and a minimum overall G.P.A. of 2.75.  A minimum grade of B- or better is mandatory in any additional required coursework.  Decisions are only made at the completion of Fall and Summer I terms based on qualifications and available space. For more info, contact Prof. Timothy Quinn, New Hampshire Hall 119, 2-1830.

Kinesiology: Outdoor Education

Prof. Laurie Gullion
NH Hall G19

Write an essay with the following:  list and describe your past involvement in outdoors; important and relevant educational experiences; area of concentration; and professional focus after school.  The essay should be attached to a one-page application (available in 109 NHH and online at with an unofficial transcript.  Complete an interview with the option coordinator.  Contact Prof. Laurie Gullion in N.H. Hall G19, 2-1617, .

Kinesiology: Physical Education

Michelle Grenier
NH Hall 213

Internal UNH transfer candidates must have a minimum GPA of 2.67, complete an application form and schedule an interview with the option coordinator before acceptance into the program. For more information contact Michelle Grenier, 213 NH Hall, 2-1835.

Kinesiology: Sport Studies

Karen Collins
NH Hall 217

Students wishing to declare Sport Studies must complete the following:

  • Overall gpa of 2.5 or higher
  • KIN 580 and 565 with B- or higher
  • CS 401, PSYC 401 and stats with C or higher
  • Attach resume and personal plan (available in Department office) to application. Deadline is December 1 for spring admission and May 1 for fall admission. An interview with option advisor is required. Contact the department, N.H. Hall, 2-2071. The focus of this major is school and college athletic programs.  Each semester an information session is held just before the registration window opens.  Please contact the Sport Studies Department for the time and location of the meeting.


Department Office
Hewitt Hall

Students should obtain an internal transfer application from the nursing department web site  and submit it with other requested materials by March 1 or June 1. Students are admitted for fall semester, nursing sophomore level only. Students must have a minimum of a 3.2 grade point average in order to apply as an internal transfer and a C or better in all prerequisite courses. The nursing program is highly competitive, and a GPA of above 3.2 does not guarantee admittance. Submit application to Dept. of Nursing, 275 Hewitt Hall.

Criteria to apply:

1. Cumulative GPA of 3.2 or above

2. All nursing prerequisites must be completed or in process at the time of application with at least one grade from Human Anatomy and Physiology. These include:

  • ENGL 401, First Year Writing
  • PSYC 401, Intro to Psychology
  • BMS 507, Human Anatomy and Physiology I
  • BMS 508, Human Anatomy and Physiology II

Occupational Therapy

Kerryellen Vroman
Hewitt Hall 121

Students should obtain an information packet from the Occupational Therapy Department office for detailed information about the program and application process.  Students are strongly encouraged to make an appointment with the department’s internal transfer advisor.

The entry-level program combines undergraduate and graduate degrees BS/MS in a 5.5 year course of study.  Students complete pre-professional coursework during the first three years and begin the professional program in the fourth year as seniors.  During senior year, students apply to the Graduate School to then complete the professional program for another 1.5 years as graduate students.  At completion of the first year of the professional program (senior year), students earn a BS degree in Occupational Science.  After completing the three additional semesters (1.5 years) of graduate coursework and fieldwork students earn an MS Degree in Occupational Therapy.  Graduates are then eligible to sit for the National Board for Certification in Occupation Therapy.

Students apply for internal transfer during the second semester of sophomore year. Applications are available at the beginning of the second semester with an application deadline of March 1. Students must take or be in progress of taking PSYC 401, BMS 507, BMS 508, OT 510 and OT 500 to apply to the program.  Additionally, students must have a minimum overall GPA of 3.0.  Admission to the BS/MS program is highly selective and dependent upon available space.

Recreation Management & Policy: Program Administration

Bob Barcelona         Hewitt  191                               2-5345

Students should obtain major and option materials from the Department of Recreation Management and Policy. After reading over the materials students should make an appointment with an option coordinator to discuss entrance to the major and complete the online application.  Students must have a minimum cumulative grade-point average of 2.5 to apply to the major. For a statistics class the department prefers students to take PSYC 402 or HHS 540.  SOC 502 will be accepted if taken before they declare the major. Contact RMP department for application deadline specifics.

Recreation Management & Policy: Therapeutic Recreation

Prof. Allison Wilder
Hewitt Hall 195

Same as Program Administration

Social Work

Prof. Martha Byam
Pettee Hall 231

Students should make an appointment with Prof. Martha Byam, Pettee Hall 231, 2-1799, They must submit a completed application and a transcript. Applications are available at the Social Work Department and are also on line at our website as well at . Students have to be in good academic standing with the University and must   earn a C or better in all major/minor courses.


Pamela Thomas
Hewitt Hall 217

No internal transfer option. Students should speak with their advisor for other options.