Leave of Absence and Withdrawal Information
Leaves of Absence
Students who wish to leave UNH for one or two semesters with intentions of returning to complete degree requirements, who have completed at least one year of coursework and have a cumulative GPA of at least 2.50 may apply for a leave of absence. The reason for the leave (if not related to military duty) must be academically related to your degree program.
Students interested in applying for leave of absence should contact the Leave Coordinator, Cheri Blair, (603) 862-1596 at the Registrar’s Office prior to the first day of classes of the semester of intended leave. Applications are subject to approval by the following offices:
- Your Major department
- Your College Dean's office
- Housing office (if you currently live a dormitory or University apartments)
Remember to contact the Financial Aid Office to discuss your financial aid status.
Students should return the completed application form with signatures to the Registrar's Office, Stoke Hall for processing.
Important Deadlines about returning to UNH after a leave of absence:
Students must notify the Leave of Absence Coordinator by the dates listed below (either by phone or in writing) of their intention of returning:
April 1 to return for the Fall Semester
- October 1 to return for the Spring Semester
Withdrawal from the University
Withdrawing from the University is a major decision. You may wish to consider taking a leave of absence, if you are eligible, or taking a reduced course load. There are many resources available to you on campus to help you make the best decision for your circumstances.
- The Counseling Center is available for assistance with personal circumstances at (603) 862-2090.
- The Deans' Office and University Advising and Career Center is available for assistance with academic circumstances and determine if you are eligible for a Leave of Absence.
- College of Engineering and Physical Sciences (CEPS), (603) 862-3537.
- College of Health and Human Services (CHHS), (603) 862-1177.
- College of Liberal Arts (COLA), (603) 862-2062.
- College of Life Sciences and Agriculture (COLSA),(603) 862-1451.
- Peter T. Paul College of Business and Economics (PAUL), (603) 862-3885.
- Thompson School of Applied Science (TSAS), (603) 862-1025.
- University Advising and Career Center (UACC), (603) 862-2064.
- Financial Aid and/or Business Services staff are available for assistance with financial circumstances and provide information about the financial consequences of withdrawing.
- Financial Aid (603) 862-3600.
- Business Services (603) 862-2230.
- Business Services for specific information about the financial consequences of withdrawing during a semester call (603) 862-2230.
- The Registrar's Office will help you complete your withdrawal form. Ask for Cheri Blair, (603) 862-1596.
- Residential Life and/or the Housing Office may be able to help if you are living on-campus.
- Contact Health Services if you are thinking of withdrawing for health reasons.
- Other Useful numbers: