Transfer Credit Information: Currently Enrolled UNH Students
NOTE: Newly admitted students should view the Admissions Office website for instructions about transferring coursework to UNH from another institution.
For course credit to transfer from another institution, the following criteria must be met:
- An official transcript has been provided by the school where the course was taken.
- The course was taken at an institution fully accredited by a regional association of schools and colleges.
- The grade earned in the class was at least a "C" or its equivalent.
- The course was not remedial or vocational in nature or taken as part of a non-credit certificate program. For a complete listing of UNH courses use our online catalog.
- Mathematics coursework must be completed at the Pre-Calculus level, or higher, to transfer. No credit is awarded for mathematics courses which duplicate high school level Algebra or below. Credit is accepted for Finite Mathematics and Statistics courses.
- To receive credit for elementary level foreign language coursework, a student cannot have completed two or more years of study in that same language in high school
- Credit will not be awarded for any course taken the semester immediately following any academic suspension or dismissal from UNH.
NOTE: Currently enrolled students must complete a Transfer Credit Prior Approval Form before enrolling in courses at another college or university.
AP Scores/CLEP Exams
Students who wish to receive credit for Advanced Placement exams from high school or the College Level Examination Program must have official scores sent directly from the College Board to the UNH Transfer Coordinator, address below.
Maximum Credits Accepted in Transfer
The maximum credits accepted in transfer from all external sources:
- 96 semester hours towards a bachelor’s degree.
- 48 semester hours towards an associate degree.
- 64 semester hours from associate level coursework to be applied to a bachelor’s degree (this restriction does not apply to associate degree programs at UNH-Manchester or the Thompson School of Applied Science).
Grades for Transfer Credits
Transfer credit is awarded for completed courses with a grade of “C” or better, provided those courses are comparable to courses offered at UNH.
No portion of the student's grade point average will transfer; transfer grades are not calculated into the UNH gpa.
Transfer Courses as Discovery or General Education Courses
Only courses awarded 3 or more semester credits can be used to satisfy Discovery Program requirements.
The Discovery Program Inquiry (INQ) requirement cannot be satisfied with transfer credit from another institution and must be taken at UNH.
Transfer Courses and the Repeated Course Rule
A course taken at another institution may not be used under the UNH repeated course rule. If credit is received for a UNH course, and an equivalent course is taken at another institution, no transfer credit will be allowed. Departments may accept equivalent course work at other institutions for grade only to satisfy departmental requirements, but no credit will be awarded.