inside image

Transfer Credit Information: Currently Enrolled UNH Students

NOTE: Newly admitted students should view the Admissions Office website for instructions about transferring coursework to UNH from another institution.

General Information

For course credit to transfer from another institution, the following criteria must be met:

  • An official transcript has been provided by the school where the course was taken.
  • The course was taken at an institution fully accredited by a regional association of schools and colleges.
  • The grade earned in the class was at least a "C" or its equivalent.
  • The course was not remedial or vocational in nature or taken as part of a non-credit certificate program. For a complete listing of UNH courses use our online catalog.
  • Mathematics coursework must be completed at the Pre-Calculus level, or higher, to transfer. No credit is awarded for mathematics courses which duplicate high school level Algebra or below. Credit is accepted for Finite Mathematics and Statistics courses.
  • To receive credit for elementary level foreign language coursework, a student cannot have completed two or more years of study in that same language in high school
  • Credit will not be awarded for any course taken the semester immediately following any academic suspension or dismissal from UNH; or while taking an approved leave of absence from UNH.

NOTE: Currently enrolled students must complete a Transfer Credit Prior Approval Form before enrolling in courses at another college or university.

Frequently Asked Questions

Transfer Credit FAQ

AP Scores/CLEP Exams

Students who wish to receive credit for Advanced Placement exams from high school or the College Level Examination Program must have official scores sent directly from the College Board to UNH.

Maximum Credits Accepted in Transfer

The maximum credits accepted in transfer from all external sources:

  • 96 semester hours towards a bachelor’s degree.
  • 48 semester hours towards an associate degree.
  • 72 semester hours from associate level coursework to be applied to a bachelor’s degree (this restriction does not apply to associate degree programs at UNH-Manchester or the Thompson School of Applied Science).

Grades for Transfer Credits

Transfer credit is awarded for completed courses with a grade of “C” or better, provided those courses are comparable to courses offered at UNH.

No portion of the student's grade point average will transfer; transfer grades are not calculated into the UNH gpa.

Transfer Courses as Discovery Program or General Education Courses

Only courses awarded 3 or more semester credits can be used to satisfy Discovery Program requirements.

The Discovery Program Inquiry (INQ) requirement cannot be satisfied with transfer credit from another institution and must be taken at UNH.

Beginning on a students first day of classes at UNH, students will work with the Office of the Registrar and/or the Discovery Program Committee regarding any review of transfer credit used to meet Discovery Program requirements.

Students in their first or second semester at the university:

  • Contact the Office of the Registrar to discuss what steps are required .
  • Student will be required to submit a full course syllabus to the Office of the Registrar.

Students in their third semester or beyond at the university:

Transfer Courses and the Repeated Course Rule

A course taken at another institution may not be used under the UNH repeated course rule. If credit is received for a UNH course, and an equivalent course is taken at another institution, no transfer credit will be allowed. Departments may accept equivalent course work at other institutions for grade only to satisfy departmental requirements, but no credit will be awarded.