inside image

Declare a Minor

A student may earn a minor in any undergraduate discipline  designated by the University. A list of approved minors is available at each College Dean's Office, on College and Department websites, in the Undergraduate Catalog and on the Minor's List.

A minor typically consists of:

  • 20 or more semester hours of credit.
  • A grade of C- or better and a 2.00 grade point average in courses that the minor department approves.
  • Courses taken on Pass/Fail basis may not be used for a minor.
  • No more than 8 credits used by a student to satisfy major requirements may be used for the minor.

Declaring a minor:

  1. Check with the Department in which you want to minor for specific requirements. Some departments require students to file an Intent-to-Minor Form for departmental use; it is NOT the same as the Certification of Completion of Minor Form.
  2. Complete a Certification of Completion of Minor Formwhen you have completed the minor or during your last semester.
  3. Have the form signed by the minor supervisor, major adviser, and College Dean.
  4. The College Dean will forward the completed form to the Registrar’s Office for processing. Minors will be posted to the student's record once all coursework is completed.

Minors will appear on a student's academic record only after all required courses have been successfully completed. Minors DO NOT appear on diplomas.