inside image

Preferred First Name Change

You may indicate a preferred first name that will appear in documents internal to UNH. The preferred first name will be used in the places listed below, regardless of whether or not you have legally changed your name. To change your name legally, go to Legal Name Change.

Places Where Preferred First Name Automatically Changes:

  • Class Rosters
  • Degree Audit Reporting System
  • Grade Reports
  • Granite Square Station Mailroom (in addition to legal name)
  • Advisee Lists
  • Webcat's Student Academic Transcript (Unofficial)
  • Library sign-out process
  • Directory Listing (Unless you have chosen FERPA Exclusion)
  • Housing and Residential Life
  • Student I.D. ($5 change fee. Submit new ID request.)
  • Wildcat Advising
  • Wildcat Careers
  • Clockwork (Disability Student Services)
  • Dining
  • Box
  • Wildcat Email
  • Zoom
  • Facilities Self-Service
  • Computer Labs/Clusters
  • Accounts Management System
  • 0365 Services
  • IT Service Desk (in addition to legal name)
  • Academic Technology Support Center (in addition to legal name)

Places Where Legal First Name is Used:

  • Student Accounts
  • Academic Technology Support Center (ATSC)
  • Student Hiring Process (work study or student hourly)
  • Counseling Center*
  • Health Insurance
  • UNH Health Services*
  • Hometown Newspaper Announcements
  • Financial Aid
  • Official University Correspondence such as letters sent to parents/guardians
  • Official Transcripts
  • Responses to enrollment inquiries such as verification requests (unless you have chosen FERPA Exclusion)
  • Immigration documents from Office of International Students and Scholars (for international students)

    *Preferred first name may be selected when registering for services.

The usage of preferred first name at UNH is an ongoing process. Additional processes will continue to be evaluated.

Note: Staff with an administrative need (e.g., police, health, and financial services; Deans’ office staff) will see both legal and preferred first names. Similar to GPAs and other sensitive information, these staff are trained on the implications of this access.

:: Steps to Indicate Your Preferred First Name

Login to MyUNH. Click on “Display/Update Preferred First Name" link via the Personal Information menu in Webcat. Follow the instructions posted on the “Preferred First Name” form. Please remember to click update to ensure that your preferences have been saved. The preferred first name update may take 24-hours before changes appear in the system.

Please report any computer/technology issues to the UNH IT Help Desk (862-4242).

Other preferred first name related concerns, questions, and/or feedback, please contact the Office of Community, Equity, & Diversity at (603) 862-1058.

For additional support & resources for international students, contact the Office of International Students & Scholars at (603) 862-1288.

For additional support & resources for transgender students, contact the Office of Multicultural Student Affairs at (603) 862-5053 or (603) 862-5204.