Annual Core-Shell Latex Morphology Workshop (June 4 - 7, 2012)
The tenth annual workshop taught by Professor Sundberg and Dr. J. Stubbs will be held June 4-7, 2012 at The University of New Hampshire. Please use the links to the left to learn more about this intensive workshop and to register for the course.
2011 IPCG Polymer Colloids Conference was held on the UNH Campus (June 26 - July 1, 2011)
**ANNOUNCEMENT**: Professors Tsavalas and Sundberg hosted the 2011 IPCG Polymer Colloids Conference on the UNH campus June 26th - July 1st, 2011.
The conference technical chairs were Dr. Michael Cunningham of Queens University (Canada) and Dr. Dieter Urban of BASF SE (Germany). The conference was a huge success continuing the tradition of the Polymer Colloids Gordon Research Conference, now under the auspices of the International Polymer Colloids Group. For information on the IPCG and on the coming meetings/events, please visit:
Cleveland Coatings Society Sink or Swim Symposium 2010
Cleveland Coatings Society
- Professor Tsavalas was the Key Note Speaker on Wednesday, May 19th with a talk on, "Structural Evolution of Composite Latex Particles During Starve-Fed Emulsion Polymerization: Modeling and Experiments for Kinetically Frozen Morphologies". His talk on the subject also won the Best Speaker Award for the conference.
- Professor Tsavalas also taught a Workshop course on Tuesday, May 18th on the topic of "Latex Based Waterbourne Coatings: Insights into Emulsion Polymerization and Latex Film Formation"
Recent Journal Publications
- Jiang, B.; Tsavalas, J. G.; Sundberg, D. C., “Measuring the Glass Transition of Latex Based Polymers in the Hydroplasticized State via Differential Scanning Calorimetry”, Langmuir, 2010, 26 (12), pp 9408–9415, DOI: 10.1021/la100425
- Sanchez-Silva, L.; Tsavalas, J.G.; Sundberg, D.C.; Sanchez, P.; Rodriguez, J.F, "Synthesis and Characterization of Paraffin Wax Microcapsules with Acrylic-Based Polymer Shells", Industrial & Engineering Chemistry Research, 2010, 49, 12204–12211, DOI: 10.1021/ie101727b
- Stubbs, J. M.; Tsavalas, J. G.; Carrier, R. H.; Sundberg, D. C., “The Structural Evolution of Composite Latex Particles during Starve-Fed Emulsion Polymerization: Modeling and Experiments for Kinetically Frozen Morphologies”, Macromolecular Reaction Engineering, Volume 4, Issue 6-7, pages 424–431, June 25, 2010, DOI: 10.1002/mren.200900081
- Tsavalas, J. G.; Sundberg, D. C., “Hydroplasticization of Polymers – Model Predictions and Application to Emulsion Polymers”, Langmuir, 2010, 26 (10), pp 6960–6966, DOI: 10.1021/la904211e
Research Highlighted in C&EN Science Concentrates, October 26,2009
PDF of C&EN Article
Link to Full Article
Anita Augustyniak, Ph.D.
Prof. John Tsavalas, Materials Science
Prof. W. Marshall Ming, Materials Science
Fluorescence Exposes Steel Corrosion
This article highlight in the October 26, 2009 C&EN Science and Technology section describes research performed by Ph.D. student Anita Augustyniak
in stimuli-responsive smart coatings for anti-corrosion. Her work is supported by the Office of Naval Research and focuses on designing coating
functionality that can detect and report underlying corrosion of the metal substrate prior to any visual evidence of the corrosion. In this way,
her work describes an in-situ detector for early corrosion detection. The highlight points to her full article in ACS Applied Materials &
Interfaces, (DOI: 10.1021/am900527s).
Return to John Tsavalas's Homepage