Declaring a Major
Declaring an Art History or Studio Art Major (B.A.)
Students entering the University as first-year or transfer students may declare Art History or Studio Art as part of the Admissions process. There is no portfolio requirement for the Studio Art option.
If you are a continuing student interested in declaring Art History or Studio Art as your major, you will need to complete the change of program process outlined below.
Declaring a Fine Arts Major (B.F.A.)
Incoming freshmen applicants wishing to enter the Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree program must first apply for and be admitted to the B.A. Art major - Studio Art option. After taking the introductory studio art courses at UNH, interested students can then seek out two faculty to sponsor their application for the BFA program. Studio majors generally wait until they are well into the intermediate level courses before submitting a portfolio for the BFA review, which is held before a full faculty committee twice a year. Transfer students should contact the department for advice on their candidacy for the B.F.A.
In the event that you are admitted to the B.F.A. program, you will need to complete the change of program process outlined below.
The Change of Program Process
If you are currently in a major or undeclared within the College of Liberal Arts…
- Sign in to MyUNHblackboard
- Select Webcat/Services and continue to Webcat
- Select Student Services & Financial Aid
- Select Student Records
- Select Change Major/Option and follow prompts
If you are currently in a major NOT within the College of Liberal Arts…
- Obtain a paper yellow change of program form from the Registrar's Office or download one here.
- Meet with your advisor, and obtain signature and your student academic file.
- Go to your current Dean’s Office, obtain signature.
- Bring your signed form and file to our office where we will instruct you on next steps.