Parents Resource Guide: Visiting UNH
Make the most of your visit to campus and the seacoast region with links to attractions, services, transportation hubs, dining options, and tips for creating special memories with your student.
- Start with the “Discover UNH” virtual tour.
- Find out more about our great location with interactive campus maps, key addresses, and tour information.
- Residential Life offers tips for staying in touch.
Points of Interest
Bordering our 200-acre campus are more than 2,400 acres of University-owned fields, woodlands, and farms. Here are some areas worthy of a visit.
- The Jackson Estuarine Laboratory is just five miles from campus on the shore of the Great Bay Estuary in Durham.
- The Coastal Marine Laboratory can be found at historic Fort Constitution in New Castle, N.H., at the mouth of Portsmouth Harbor.
- The Shoals Marine Laboratory, six miles off the Atlantic coast, is a summer field station operated jointly by UNH and Cornell University.
- The UNH Observatory hosts open observation nights throughout the year. Call (603) 862-3996.
- College Woods, on the west side of campus, comprises 250 acres that are great for walking, running, birding, and skiing.
- Kingman Farm in nearby Madbury boasts an extensive trail system for mountain biking, hiking, running, skiing, and educational field experiences.
- Mendum's Pond is a UNH recreation area about seven miles from campus, home to the UNH Sailing Club, and with a picnic, canoe rental, and swimming area.
- The Thompson Farm, on the Lamprey River in Durham, is a 204-acre property with a small working farm and an extensive trail system.
- The Wildcat Sculpture, an 850-pound bronze symbol of pride and spirit, stands in front of the Whittemore Center. Installed in 2006, the cat is a favorite spot for taking family photographs.
Local Area Information
For a list of lodging and dining establishments in the local Durham area, please see Visit UNH.
- Dover Chamber of Commerce (603) 742-2218
- Durham Business Association (603) 868-1123
- Exeter Chamber of Commerce (603) 772-2411
- Maine Chamber of Commerce (207) 623-4568
- Greater Portsmouth Chamber of Commerce (603) 610-5510
Three major airports serve Durham/UNH:
- Boston Logan International Airport (BOS)
- Manchester-Boston Regional Airport (MHT)
- Portland International Jetport (PWM0)
Approximate distances from Durham/UNH:
- Portsmouth, N.H., 12 miles
- Portland, Maine, 40 miles
- Manchester/Nashua, N.H., 50 miles
- Boston, Mass., 60 miles
- New York, N.Y., 230 miles
- Montreal, 240 miles
Creating Special Moments
UNH Dining Services offers treats for special occasions. Call (603) 862-3463 or "Send a Smile" to order one for your student!
- Invite your student’s friend or roommate out to dinner with you.
- Midterms and finals are a great time to send flowers, a card, or a care package.
- A gift certificate for a local pizza place or restaurant makes a nice present.
- When you visit, bring along a plant for your student’s room, an interesting book, or a lava lamp!
- An occasional card or handwritten letter is always welcome.
- Encouraging words are appreciated. “You can do it.” “I’m proud of you.” “Keep your chin up!”
- Can’t visit? Send a care package filled with your student’s favorite goodies!
Throughout the year, parents can expect to receive information from several University-recognized student organizations inviting them to purchase welcome kits, final exam baskets, and birthday cakes. The proceeds from these requests fund activities and services sponsored by the respective student organizations.
- About Us
- Family Weekend
- Scholarship Program
- Grant Program
- Parents Resource Guide
- Off the Beaten Path - Central UNH Campus Tour Guide
- Off the Beaten Path - Extended UNH Campus Tour Guide
- Off the Beaten Path - Regional Tour Guide
- Student Links
- Community Links
- Academics / Administration
- Study Abroad
- Memorial Union Building Resources
- Parents Portal
- Financial Aid
- Business Office
- Counseling Center
- Health Services
- UNH Police / Roam Secure sign up
- Make a Gift