OPERATING STAFF COUNCIL

Minutes of Monthly Meeting

May 8, 2002

 

Council members present: Ed Ouellette, District 2; Scott Healey, District 3; Mark Ernst, District 5; Marie Hanson, District 7; Karin Coe, District 8; Erika Clifford (recorder), District 9; Karen Mars, District 11; Ginette Couture (chair), District 13; Shirley Norton, District 14; Belinda Camire, District 15; Madeline Slocum, District 16; Nicole Runde, At-Large; Dwain Lozier, At-large; Lonn Sattler

 

Council members absent: Abby Archila, District 1; Julie Johnson-Dubois, District 6; Darcy Coffta, District 11; Wendy Rappa, At-large; Dwain Lozier, At-large.

 

Ex-Officios:      Holly Wellstead, HR

Lori Gula, Campus Journal

Kate Ferreira

 

The April minutes were approved.

 

The Council voted Stephanie Higgs to council for District 12.

 

Holly Wellstead reminded the Council that May is Sick Pool Conversion month and that the PAT recognition program is May 30th.

 

Kate Ferreira was invited by the Development Committee to speak to the Council about her experiences as an employee/student and how she came to be the Director of the Center for Professional Studies located at UNHM.  She was an engaging speaker!

 

Reports from Standing Committees

 

Ø      Compensation and Benefits: It was agreed upon to move forward with Sick Pool Donation program and Comp and Benies committee is working on a survey of questions to send to staff regarding Sick Pool Donation Program.  Anyone with ideas on questions they would like to see in the survey please email to Belinda.

 

Ø       Communications: Working on keeping web site up to date.  Ed graciously brought his camera to take photos of our meeting in Manchester and hopefully we will get some of those on the website.

 

Ø       Development-Invited Kate Ferreira to speak and is collecting suggestions for future speakers to come to our meetings and then will look at developing topics for brown bag series.  When developing the Brown Bag lunch sessions the Development Committee will connect with Sue Ross from the AOP Committee so that sessions will not be duplicated.

 

Ø      SPPC- Meet April 18th and approved Category II proposals (the ones affecting new employees) with only one change to tuition. A new employee may access tuition benefit after successful completion of introductory period.  Spouse and dependents will wait a year for tuition benefit.   Additional pay policy was approved.  A higher across the board increase and a lower merit percentage based on Board of Trustee designated salary percentage. There will be another SPPC meeting on May 16th.

 

Ø      Transportation-No new information.

 

 Other Discussion

 

Ginette informed us that the OS Council was represented for Ben Thompson Day and given credit, by the students organizing the day, for participation.  Ginette donated to baskets for recipients (one of whom was President Leitzel) on behalf of the Council.  Last year the # of participants was 25 which increased to 97 this year!

 

Ginette and Karin share in attending the Presidents Governance Council where members from all UNH campus wide Councils give updates.

 

Smoking policy was approved but will have some adjustments done to the wording before being passed.

 

Ginette asked for volunteers to be a representative to participate on the Student Governance Body of the MUB.  Marie volunteered to be main representative and Scott volunteered to fill in as needed.

 

Ginette asked the Council for volunteers to participate on the University Aesthetics Committee.  They meet 1st Tuesday of every month from 12:30-2:00.  Anyone interested please let Ginette know.

 

OS Council will rotate the opportunity for sitting in on the PAT staff council meetings.  Erika will create a schedule but for now Karin will go to June’s meeting.  Madeline will attend September as that is when the PAT will have a meeting in Manchester. Karen will attend October’s meeting.  Stephanie chose November and Scott volunteered for December.  Anyone wanting to request a specific month other then these listed let Erika know otherwise at June meeting she will hand out a schedule.

 

The Council was asked if only one payroll deduction option for the University Community Scholarhip fund existed would this pose a problem?  Currently employees can choose the number of weeks that their contribution can be deducted from their paychecks but this is causing administrative issues for the Foundation.  Council voted in favor of only one option being presented to donors.

 

Ginette and Nicole will participate on the Parking Plan Committee.

 

Lastly Ginette will be sending around a list of questions pertaining to the evaluation of this years Council. Questions on what top three goals ought to be for the upcoming year will be included.  Please answer honestly as this will be anonymous and she will bring the results to the June meeting.

 

Respectfully submitted, Erika Clifford

 

Next meeting: June 5th at Trustees Board Room in T-Hall.