Operating Staff Council

Minutes of Monthly Meeting

Jan. 3, 2001

 

Council Members Present:  Cathy Ebert, District 16; Sharon Gordon, (chair) District 6; Karin Coe, District 8; Dick Swasey, (vice-chair) member-at-large; Lois Morris, District 11; Mark Ernst, District 5; Ginette Couture, District 13; Belinda Camire, District 15; Flora Joyal, District 7; Shirley Norton, District 14; Debbie Anderson, (recorder) District 9.

 

Absent:  Paul Dean, member-at-large

 

Ex Officios:  Michelle Gregoire, Campus Journal

Gregg Sanborn, President’s Office

Deb Carr, Human Resources Representative

Guy Hutt, Human Resource, Professional Development

 

Guest:  Jim Varn, Provost Office, Coordinator-Academic Planning Steering Committee

 

Jim Varn, Provost Office , Coordinator of the Academic Planning Steering Committee, spoke for a few minutes and handed out a preliminary draft. The Committee was established by the President and Provost to develop an academic action plan for the next five years.  The preliminary draft contains 7 critical issues and questions that the committee has raised during its discussions.  The goal of the Committee is to present a draft plan to the university community for consideration, revision, and approval during the 2000-2001 academic year.  Mr. Varn would like comments/feedback from the council in the next two weeks if possible.

 

Committee assignments: 2 council members still need to pick a committee to serve on

Paul Dean- absent

Debra Anderson – Benefits & Compensation

Sharon & Dick will try to take turns and be at the different committee meetings

 

Compensation and Development Committee

The direction for this committee is to focus on the compensation raises and how they will be divided ATB, equity , and merit. What would be the Compensation and Benefits Committees suggestion as to how we do this division.  What would be in the interest to our constituents. Also possibly get together with the PAT council to brainstorm.  Another suggestion is the formation of a plan where people can donate sick leave. People with a catastrophic illness could borrow from a sick leave pool.

 

Development Committee

Direction for this committee would be to work with David Butler and Guy Hutt on making sure job classifications are put into place or worked on. Sharon had heard that there might be an outside concern coming in to evaluate Operating Staff against the real

world or other companies.  Gregg Sanborn did confirm that a more sophisticated compensation study as well as a definition of markets for specific classification will be carried out in the future. 

 

Communications Committee

Suggested working on a newsletter that could be done monthly possibly called

You & UNH. You could use this newsletter as a way to remind people of the benefits we have here on campus.  Also use this newsletter as a way to tell people of the accomplishments the council has made.

 

Gregg Sanborn wanted to know if the council had decided to implement the Auto attendant voice-mail system that had been discussed at past meetings.  Sharon informed Gregg that at the Operating Staff Council emergency meeting in December, the council did in fact agree to go ahead with the voice-mail system.  Lois will get in touch with Donna (from Gregg’s office) to complete the set up process.

 

Committee meetings:  will be held after the regular business meeting each month. This will formally start at the February meeting. 

 

Sharon read a letter that she received from Mary Ellen Boelhower, Director of Stewardship, regarding the University Community Scholarship Fund. The market value of the fund as of June 30, 1999 is $25,935.91 with new gifts received totaling $11,635.56 with a market value as of June 30, 2000 of $38,280.36.  The scholarship that they gave to Nicholas Osborn of Concord, a senior in Microbiology, was in the amount of $1,896.28.  This is the type of information that people don’t hear that needs to be told.

 

Gregg announced that the PAT/OS orientation meeting has been tentatively set for Feb. 14.

 

Guy Hutt- Manager of Professional and Organization Development for Human Resources spoke on the new development program Managing@UNH.  The first module will be offered in January, February and March.  The program was highlighted in the December 15 issue of the Campus Journal.

 

Sharon passed out copies of the new by-laws.   The next meeting will be the first Wednesday in February.  Sharon will make sure everyone get a schedule of the meetings.

Council voted to skip the July meeting. 

 

The meeting was adjourned at 10:05  Lois moved, Dick seconded.

 

Reported by Debbie Anderson