Extending the Stay of a J-1 Exchange Visitor
In order to extend the stay of a J-1 Exchange Visitor, the department must submit an application requesting such an extension to the Office of International Students & Scholars (OISS). The Exchange Visitor is also required to complete a new application form, and to provide the OISS with updated funding and health insurance information. No immigration-related documents will be prepared until documentation has been received from both the sponsoring department and the exchange visitor. All documentation must be submitted to the OISS at least 30 days prior to the expiration date on the applicant's current Form DS-2019.
Please Note: The maximum length of stay for an exchange visitor in a Research Scholar or Visiting Professor category is five years. The maximum length of stay for an Exchange Visitor in the Short-Term Scholar category is six months. Please do not request an extension of stay if the Exchange Visitor has already reached the maximum length of stay for his/her category.
The Department Must:
- Complete a new application form;
- Submit it with requested documentation/information to the OISS;
- Clarify and finalize all details of the appointment with the Exchange Visitor in writing;
- Attach a copy of this letter/agreement to the application for extension of stay;
- Remind the Exchange Visitor of the health insurance requirement and ensure that he/she is prepared to purchase extended health insurance for him/herself and all dependents for the duration of the Exchange Visitor Program;
- Ensure that the Exchange Visitor has adequate financial resources to sustain him/herself and family members for the duration of the program;
- Inform the Human Resources and Payroll offices of the intent of the department to extend the Exchange Visitor's compensation (if necessary);
- Update the Exchange Visitor's I-9 and W-4 Forms as necessary;
- Make arrangements to have the Exchange Visitor's UNH ID Card extended, if necessary;
- Keep the OISS informed of any changes in the visitor's status;
- Instruct the Exchange Visitor to submit an application for extension of stay, and all requested documentation, to the OISS at least 30 days prior to the expiration date on his/her current Form DS-2019. (The visitor will be required to submit updated financial documentation and a new signed medical insurance compliance form with the application before Form DS-2019 will be issued.)
Upon receipt of satisfactorily completed application forms and documentation from both the department and the Exchange Visitor, the OISS will review the information and will issue and extension Form DS-2019 to the Exchange Visitor. Instructions will be provided to the Exchange Visitor regarding visa extensions, travel outside the US, etc.
Please remember to keep the OISS up to date on any changes in the status of the Exchange Visitor. Notify the OISS immediately if the visitor departs from the program prior to the expiration date of the appointment. The department will also be required to complete and submit a brief evaluation of the Exchange Visitor's activities to the OISS for inclusion in the annual report.
If you have any questions or need additional information, please contact the OISS.