Application Instructions and Documentation Checklist for the J-1 Exchange Visitor Program
If you have received an invitation from a UNH department or faculty member to come to the United States for a temporary period of time as an Exchange Scholar, you must submit an application to the OISS at least forty-five days prior to the date you plan to arrive. Because of the waiting period for a visa application appointment at most US embassies and consulates from April through August, however, during that busy season we recommend submitting the application at least ninety days in advance of your planned arrival. The information provided in your application will enable the University to determine your eligibility to participate in the Exchange Visitor Program and to issue you Form DS-2019. Be sure to attach all requested documentation.
Documents to be submitted with an application for the UNH Exchange Visitor Program:
- The completed and signed application (requires Adobe Acrobat Reader to view);
- If you are being funded by your home government, university, institution or employer, a copy of the letter granting you the funds to come to the United States. This letter must be in English (or accompanied by an English translation) and include the amount of the financial support; it should also state the purpose and dates of the planned visit and, preferably, that the visit is to the University of New Hampshire;
- If you will be self-funding your visit to the U.S., send a copy of your personal bank statement and employment letter confirming salary with English translation, if in a foreign language;
- A copy of your most recent curriculum vitae or resume;
- The enclosed signed Health Insurance Compliance Form;
- Copies of passports for yourself and any family members who will be accompanying you to UNH. It is necessary to send only the following pages: biographic data page (with name, birth date, and photo), the page containing the expiration date, and pages with any U.S. visas;
- Personal information for any family members who are already in the U.S. or who will accompany you to the U.S.
- If you are already in the U.S.:
- clear, legible copies of the front and back sides of Form I-94, Record of Arrival and Departure for yourself and all accompanying family members;
- a copy of all previously issued Forms DS-2019, Forms I-20 and/or Forms I-797;