|Degree: Natural Resources and Environmental Studies
Advisor: Dr. Heidi Asbjornsen
Interactive Effects of Fungal Pathogens and Climate Change on Forest Health
Cameron's research is focused on understanding the complex interactions between forest pathogens and climate that compromise forest health in New England. He is currently investigating White Pine Needle Damage (WPND) - a suite of foliar fungi that have been chronically defoliating eastern white pine (Pinus strobus L.) in the region since 2009. WPND fungi have been associated with a trend of increased spring precipitation in recent years and threaten one of our most widespread and economically important tree species. Cameron is primarily interested in quantifying growth declines through tree ring analysis and using sap-flow and leaf level gas exchange as diagnostic tools to detect physiological damage and compensatory response in diseased trees and in response to drought. This research is supported through NH-AES and the US Forest Service.
Previous Awards and Activities
- 2014 Golden Key International Honor Society
- 2014 Xi Sigma Pi Forest Honor society
- 2014 NH-AES Research Equipment Grant
- 2013 UNH Farrington Fund Travel Grant
- 2013 NRESS Student Support Fund 2013
- 2013 UNH Graduate School Travel Scholarship
- 2012 University of Utah Undergraduate Research Scholar
Selected Presentations and Publications
- CD McIntire, H Asbjornsen, I Munck, K Broaders, W Livingston. October 2014. Interactive effects of White Pine Needle Damage and climate change on forest health and carbon-water dynamics across the Northeastern United States. Poster and five-minute oral presentation at the International Union of Forest Research Organizations World Congress, Salt Lake City UT.
- CD McIntire, H Asbjornsen, I Munck, K Broaders, W Livingston. April 2014. Effects of White Pine Needle Damage on sap flow and growths rates of eastern white pine at the Fox State Forest, New Hampshire. Poster presented at UNH Graduate Research Conference, Durham NH.
- CD McIntire, H Asbjornsen, I Munck, K Broaders, W Livingston. March 2014. Effects of White Pine Needle Damage on sap flow and growths rates of eastern white pine at the Fox State Forest, New Hampshire. Fifteen-minute presentation at the Northeastern Forest Pest Council Meeting, Quebec City Canada.
- CD McIntire, H Asbjornsen, I Munck. Water and carbon relations of Eastern white pine (Pinus strobus L.) impacted by defoliating fungi. February 2014. Fifteen-minute presentation at the Forest Watch annual meeting, Durham NH.
- CD McIntire, MJ Power. A Paleoecological Record of Tortola: Reconstructing a tropical ecosystem through lake sediment and pollen analysis. April 2012. Poster presented University of Utah BioScience Symposium, Salt Lake City UT.
B.S., Biology, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT - 2012