Alumna Profile: Shannon Rogers
Degree: Natural Resources and Environmental Studies
Advisor: Dr. Kevin Gardner, Dr. John Halstead
Description of Research
Transportation and the built environment have significant impacts on social and environmental networks. A case study approach is being utilized to understand and measure transportation behavior, social capital, and the built form of communities. The goal is to create a framework for planners and decision makers that would allow them to build more sustainable communities. This information will be added to data on other physical and engineering measures for sustainable communities. Better decision-making and land use planning will lead to reduced pollution in the air, water, and on land.
Previous Awards and Activities
- Dartmouth College, Presidential Scholar
- Dartmouth College Academic All Ivy Athlete in Women’s Golf
- University of New Hampshire Summer Teaching Assistant Fellowship.
- New Hampshire Water Resources Research Center Fellowship. Project title: “Protecting water supply through improved watershed planning and management”
- Master's Thesis Award of Merit from the Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association (NAREA)
- University of New Hampshire Graduate School Research/Creativity/Scholarship Award
- EPA Science to Achieve Results (STAR) Fellowship
Selected Presentations and Publications
- Rogers SH, Seager TP, Gardner, KH. 2004. Combining expert judgment and stakeholder values with PROMETHEE: A case study in contaminated sediments management. In Comparative Risk Assessment and Environmental Decision-Making edited by I Linkov. Kluwer Academic Press: Boston MA.
- Linkov I, Satterstrom FK, Kiker G, Seager TP, Bridges T, Gardner KH, Rogers SH, Belluck DA, Meyer A. 2006. Multi-criteria decision analysis: A comprehensive decision approach for management of contaminated sediments. Risk Analysis: An International Journal. Issue 1, 61-78.
- Seager, TP, Rogers SH, Gardner, KH, Linkov, I, Howarth, R. 2006. Coupling Public Participation and Expert Judgment for Assessment of Innovative Contaminated Sediment Technologies. In Environmental Security and Environmental Management: The Role of Risk Assessment. Edited by Morel B, Linkov I. Springer, Amsterdam.
- Seager TP, Rogers SH, Gardner KH. 2006. Multicriteria decision analysis as a framework for combining expert knowledge and public values: A case study in contaminated sediments management. In Environmental Security and Environmental Management: Role of Risk Assessment Edited by Morel B, Linkov I. Springer, Amsterdam.
- A.B., in Environmental Studies, Dartmouth College, cum laude, 2004
- M.S., in Resource Administration and Management, University of New Hampshire, 2007
- Ph.D., in Natural Resources and Earth Systems Science, University of New Hampshire, 2011
- Research Analyst at Industrial Economics, Inc. Cambridge, MA 2004-2005