UNH News Release: Hot Water Pipe at UNH Residence Hall Breaks; Three Students Sustain Burns While Evacuating
April 6, 2013
Hot Water Pipe at UNH Residence Hall Breaks; Three Students Sustain Burns While Evacuating

DURHAM, N.H. – At 2:30 p.m. Saturday, April 6, 2013, a hot water pipe broke outside Hunter Hall, a residence hall at the University of New Hampshire that houses approximately 115 students. Three female students suffered what are believed to be third-degree burns to their feet when the hot water damaged a small section of the first-floor hallway and four rooms.

The three students, who were burned while exiting the building, were transported to local hospitals – one to Portsmouth Regional Hospital and two to Wentworth-Douglass Hospital – and later transferred to Boston hospitals.

Students were evacuated from Hunter Hall until 6 p.m. Saturday. At that time students were allowed to return. Hunter, Gibbs and Engelhardt halls, known as the lower quad and on the same system, will have hot water overnight but not heat. Heaters will be set up in the building and crews will repair the broken pipe Sunday.

“I was devastated to learn three of our students suffered serious burns when this pipe failed,” said UNH President Mark Huddleston. “We have reached out to their families and will provide whatever assistance we can to help them through this difficult time.”

-30-

Media Contact: Erika Mantz | 603-862-1567 | UNH Media Relations
UNH Today Spotlight

Extension Enlists Allies to Battle Ash Tree Pest READ MORE

UNH Photo Gallery

UNH Photo image

UNH on Video

UNH Video image

Take an aerial tour of the University of New Hampshire's research facilities and campuses in Durham, Manchester, and Concord N.H. Watch now!

UNH Video on YouTube

Featured Tweets

Get Connected

Sign up for UNH Admissions information and updates. (click here!)

Follow UNH →

Find us on Facebook Follow UNH Today on Twitter UNH on Google Plus UNH on Foursquare UNH YouTube Channel UNH Alumni Association on LinkedIn