UNH Alumni Association
 

UNH Alumni Center Celebrates 25 Years of Service

By Maggie Paine
UNH Alumni Association
603-862-4884

June 18, 2002


DURHAM, N.H. -- The late John S. Elliott had a dream -- that University of New Hampshire alumni and other members of the university community would come together in their own building on the Durham campus. Elliott, along with five other alumni, led the campaign to raise money for an alumni center at UNH. The goal the volunteers discussed more than a quarter century ago was ambitious -- $800,000 -- yet in just more than two years, they raised the money, hired an architect and construction firm, and got the building done.

This month the Elliott Alumni Center celebrates 25 years of welcoming alumni, parents, friends and members of the UNH community. The center was designed by Banwell, White and Arnold of Hanover in a distinctive 1970s style to take advantage of its wooded site near the corner of Strafford Avenue and Edgewood Road. It serves as headquarters for the UNH Alumni Association and UNH Foundation.

The building was named for John S. Elliott, who graduated from UNH in 1915, and was for many years president of the Elliott Rose Company in Madbury. Elliott was vice president of the Alumni Association and a university trustee from 1933 to 1940. He received the Alumni Meritorious Service Award in 1941, and an honorary doctor of laws degree from UNH in 1949. Elliott chaired the Alumni and Friends Division of the University Centennial Campaign in 1965, and was co-chair of the Alumni Center Campaign Executive Committee.

The dedication program stated that the center would "serve as a bridge between alumni and all other members of the university community" and as "an attractive focal point for alumni and their families."

"Over the past quarter century, the Elliott Alumni Center has more than met those goals," said Ernie Gale, executive director of the UNH Alumni Association. "John Elliott would have been proud to see where his hard work has led."

Back to UNH News Bureau