UNH Alumni Association
DURHAM, N.H. -- Alumni who attended the University of New Hampshire in any year during the 1970s are invited to return to campus for a '70s Decade Reunion Oct. 12-14, 2007. The weekend, which coincides with Homecoming, will feature special events including a '70s musical revue called "The Way We Were in the Polyester Decade," dinner and dancing to a live '70s-era band, campus tours and a Coaches Chat.
Martha Byam '75, co-chair of the reunion planning committee, says a decade reunion is particularly well suited to UNH alumni from the 1970s. "Our generation doesn't identify with the class year as much," she explains. "They identify more with the groups they participated in--such as Freshman Camp, an athletic team, a Greek organization, the radio station--and those groups cut across class lines. A decade reunion is more expansive, more inclusive, so it's perfect for that aspect of our group."
Events planned for the '70s Decade Reunion include:
* Friday night Welcome Back reception with cocktails and refreshments
* Campus tour and talk by UNH's campus architect Doug Bencks
* A '70s Musical Revue performed by alums John Garand '75, Katherine Scannell Strickland '75, and Sue Dearborn '76 Saturday afternoon
* Saturday evening social hour, cash bar and hors d'oeuvres
* Saturday night buffet dinner and dancing to live music by All Together Now, a '70s era band including UNH alums Jeff Landrock '74 and Tommy Moore '81
* Sunday morning brunch at UNH's newest dining hall, Holloway Commons
* Coaches Chat with 70's alums Sean McDonnell '78 (men's football) and Dick Umile '72 (men's ice hockey)
In addition, there will be a full weekend of regular Homecoming activities, including the traditional football game and pre-game tailgating, parade, fireworks, carnival, steamship foliage tour, 5K road race, greenhouse open house, Memorial Union Building 50th anniversary dessert reception and outdoor movie, Ibsen's The Doll House at Johnson Theater, a UNH Observatory astronomy viewing session, and much more.
Alumni and friends can register for individual reunion events or get a special package price of $99 ($110 after Sept. 14) for the entire weekend. For more information, visit www.alumni.unh.edu/seventies, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org, or call the UNH Alumni Association at (603) 862-2040 or (800) 891-1195.