Diane Foster, Professor
Diane Foster, Professor
Prof. Foster joined the Mechanical Engineering faculty at UNH Fall 2008. Prior to joining UNH, Prof. Foster was an associate professor in the Department of Civil and Environmental Engineering and Geodetic Sciences at the Ohio State University in Columbus.
Prof. Foster teaches OE and ME courses which include Heat Transfer (ME 603), Coastal Enginering Process (OE 757) and Ocean Mechanics (OE 795/895).
Prof. Foster's research interests include:
- Fluid-Sediment Interactions in Coastal Environments
- Ocean bottom boundary layer and sediment dynamics
- Fluid-Structure-Sediment of submarine objects (i.e. mines, piers)
- Optical and Wireless sensor development for ocean applications
- Suspension and Transport of Mixed-Grain Sediment
- Nichols, C.S. and Foster, D.L., 2008, "Observations of Bedform Evolution with Field-Scale Oscillatory Hydrodynamic Forcing", Journal of Geophysical Research, submitted.
- Smith, H.D. and Foster, D.L., 2007, "Three-Dimensional Vortex-Dynamics around a Short, Bottom-Mounted Cylinder in Waves", Journal of Fluid Mechanics, in review.
- Marieu, V., Bonneton, P., Foster, D.L., and Ardhuin, F., 2007, "Modeling of Vortex Ripple Morphodynamics", Journal of Geophysical Research, in review.
- Hatton, K.A. and Foster, D.L., 2007, "Scour and Ripple Migration Offshore of a Vertically Mounted Pile Subjected to Irregular Waves", Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, in review.
- Nichols, C.S. and Foster, D.L., 2007. "Full-Scale Observations of Wave-Induced Vortex Generation over a Rippled Bed",Journal of Geophysical Research, 112 (C10015, doi:10.1029/2006JC003841), 1-17.
- Foster, D. L., Natoo, P., Stanton, T.S., and Fredsoe, J., 2007, "The Suspension of Sediment from Flat and Megarippled Beds: A Pairing of Models and Observations", Continental Shelf Research, in press.
- Dusini, D., Foster, D.L., and Shore, J.A., 2007, "Effects of Lake Surface Variation on Sediment Resuspension", Journal of Great Lakes Research, accepted.
- Smith, H.D., and Foster, D.L., 2007, "Three-Dimensional Flow Around a Bottom-Mounted Short Cylinder", Journal of Hydraulic Engineering, ASCE, Volume 133, Issue 5, pp. 534-544.
- Hatton, K.A., Foster, D.L., Traykovski, P.A., and Smith, H.D., 2006, "Scour and Burial of Submerged Mines in Wave Conditions", IEEE Journal of Oceanic Engineering, 32 (2007): 249-259, doi:10.1109/JOE.2007.890986.
- Foster, D.L., Bowen, A.J., Holman, R.A., and Natoo, P., 2006, "Field Evidence of Pressure Gradient Induced Incipient Motion", Journal of Geophysical Research, 111(C5), C05004, 1-8.
- Foster, D.L., Beach, R.A., and Holman, R.A., 2006, "Turbulence Observations of the Nearshore Wave Bottom Boundary Layer", Journal of Geophysical Research, 111(C4), C04011, 1-11.
- About Us
- Undergraduate Programs
- Mechanical Engineering, B.S.
- Ocean Engineering, B.S.
- Student Resources
- Study Abroad
- Class Projects
- Student Reflections
- Graduate Programs
- Faculty & Staff
- Visit Us