Our ability to fulfill our mission of educational and research excellence and to contribute exemplary service to the larger community largely rests in the hands of our employees. In recognition that the quality and commitment of the University’s workforce is an integral part of overall institutional effectiveness, we seek to make explicit the University’s core values regarding performance.
Our PHILOSOPHY OF PERFORMANCE MANAGEMENT aims to:
- Achieve the University’s strategic goals
- Foster productivity
- Nurture personal and professional development
- Recognize and reward meritorious performance
To support this intention of performance development and performance excellence we aim to create a workplace in which we:
- Recruit and retain a highly skilled, diverse, and highly productive workforce.
- Create a positive, collegial, inclusive, and welcoming work climate.
- Nurture a commitment to the continuous improvement of individuals, teams and units as well as the overall University.
- Align employee efforts with larger University goals in order to support the fulfillment of the University’s Academic Plan.
- Employ a consistent, fair, participatory and user-friendly performance management process. This includes taking corrective action when job performance standards are not met.
- Encourage timely and meaningful communication between supervisors and employees regarding expectations and feedback.
- Help the University to invest its energy and resources wisely.
Our performance management process is the foundation upon which our workplace environment is built. Our assumptions about performance management are that it:
- Is a planned, purposeful activity designed to benefit the individual employee as well as the University.
- Is intended to create a climate in which employees are valued, motivated and recognized for their contributions; and in which they are treated in manner that is fair, consistent, and in alignment with USNH policies and practices.
- Defines and helps to achieve excellence in the workplace.
- Considers performance appraisal outcomes in determining employee eligibility for merit increase, bonus awards, promotion, and other actions.
- Requires ongoing communication between and engagement from both employees and supervisors.
- Holds both employees and supervisors accountable for their role in this process including timely, thorough completion of written performance appraisals.
- Overview of Process
- The Employee’s Role in the Performance Assessment Process (Preparing for the review)
- The Employee’s Role in the Performance Assessment Process (Powerpoint slides)
- Instructions for completing current paper Performance Assessment Forms
- Guide to Job Competencies (for employees and supervisors)
- Current paper Performance Assessment Forms are available on the Forms page
- Performance Management slide show with voice over presentation by HR staff. *Includes closed captioning feature.
- PACES (USNH's Position, Advertising, Classification and Evaluation System) page that includes video instructions for employees and Supervisors. Departments/Employees are encouraged to utilize this online Performance Management/Evaluation process.
Annual Performance Review
- Managing Performance - Purpose of Performance Assessments
- Competency Model
- Conducting the Performance Assessment Meeting
- The Professional Development Component of Performance Appraisal
- Roles and Responsibilities – Supervisor and Employee
- Supervisor’s Preparation for the Performance Assessment
- Writing Performance Assessments
- Performance Evaluation Forms available on Forms page
- Ongoing Feedback and Performance Management
- Rewards & Recognition
- Constructive Discipline and Corrective Action
Employee Assistane Program (EAP)
Tools for Supervisors - Employee Performance Improvement
- Tool #1 - Notes to Supervisor's Own File
- Tool #2 - How to Give Effective Feedback
- Tool #3 - Checklist for Handling Unsatisfactory Performance
- Tool #4 - EAP as a Resource
- Tool #5 - 1st Formal Written Warning
- Tool #6 - Letter Confirming Performance Correction
- Tool #7 - Begin Performance Improvement Plan
- Tool #8 - Elements of a Performance Improvement Plan
- Tool #9 - Tipsheet - How to Manage the Performance Improvement Period
- Tool #10 - Documenting the Employee's Successful Completion of the Performance Improvement Period