Function of Job:
Under broad supervision of designated supervisor, to be responsible for and/or lead and assign work to a crew of carpenters.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversee project crews in carpentry work required for the maintenance, repair, and alteration of buildings and structures.
- Assist in the supervision/operation of the carpentry shop and assigned personnel, as directed.
- Assist in the coordination of carpentry shop work with that of other trades.
- Assist supervisor in matters deserving attention regarding carpentry work.
- Assist in the preparation of estimates, reports and requisitions.
- Coordinate the flow of work orders, maintenance requests and other related forms between the shop and physical plant work control unit.
- Be able to perform all duties of carpenter or finish carpenter, following recognized procedures/techniques for such work, as required.
- Act as supervisor in his/her absence.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- High school graduation or equivalent and four years of experience as carpenter.
- Knowledge of and ability to operate carpenter shop tools and equipment.
- Ability to lay out construction, remodeling and alteration work.
- Ability to read blueprints.
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job, including heavy work with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment, as necessary.
- Supervisory ability.
- Valid motor vehicle operator's license if required.
- If warranted by specific job duties assigned to position, must pass drug and alcohol screening tests as mandated by Department of Transportation agency regulations.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience in the institution being served.
- Working knowledge of one or more other trades.
- Willingness to keep informed of new materials and methods for maintenance of college/university buildings and structures.
System Approval: 12/6/04
Effective Date: 12/6/04
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.
*** NOTE: Revised - original approved 3/7/75 and revised 8/10/75, 2/20/79, 7/30/80, 12/11/86 and 5/20/93. ***