ATHLETIC TRAINER II
Function of Job:
Under general direction of responsible athletic official, to take measures necessary and appropriate for preventing athletic injuries; to screen and treat, based upon training or upon recommendation of physician, athletic disabilities and injuries; to provide emergency medical care; to supervise training room, student trainers, and/or physical therapy students; and/or administer the athletic training program.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Administer, as assigned, the day-to-day operation, coordination, supervision, and evaluation of all aspects of the athletic training program.
- Apply strapping, bandaging, or bracing designed to prevent or protect athletes against injury.
- Administer therapeutic techniques and modalities such as ultra sound, electrostimulation, hydrotherapy, cryotherapy, as well as active, passive, and assistive exercises.
- Perform preliminary injury evaluation, and refer individuals to physicians as deemed appropriate.
- Work with physicians in determining extent of injury and when athlete can safely return to competition.
- Administer first aid to injured athletes.
- Develop conditioning programs.
- Recommend training menus and diets when appropriate, in cooperation with dietician.
- Supervise training room, student trainers, and/or physical therapy students.
- Teach athletic training courses and advise on curriculum.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in Physical Therapy and three years of experience as an athletic trainer, with registration in Physical Therapy by the State of New Hampshire, or Master's Degree in Physical Education or related field and three years of experience as an athletic trainer, or Bachelor's Degree in Physical Education or related field and five years of experience as an athletic trainer.
- Certification by the National Athletic Trainer's Association.
Effective Date: 10/26/88*** NOTE: Revised - Original approved 1/31/79 and revised 10/12/83.***