ATHLETIC TRAINER I
Under general supervision of responsible athletic official, to take measures necessary and appropriate for preventing athletic injuries; to screen and treat, based upon training or upon recommendation of physician, athletic disabilities and injuries, to provide emergency medical care; and to supervise and advise student trainers.
- Apply strapping, bandaging, or bracing designed to prevent or protect athletes against injury.
- Administer therapeutic techniques and modalities such as ultra sound, electrostimulation, hydrotherapy, cryotherapy, as well as active, passive, and assistive exercises.
- Perform preliminary injury evaluation, and refer individuals to physicians as deemed appropriate.
- Work with physicians in determining extent of injury and when athlete can safely return to competition.
- Administer first aid to injured athletes.
- Develop conditioning programs.
- Recommend training menus and diets when appropriate, in cooperation with dietician:
- Supervise and advise student trainers.
- Teach basic athletic training course and advise on curriculum.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree and one year of experience as an athletic trainer.
- Certification by the National Athletic Trainer's Association.
Effective Date: 10/26/88