Function of job:
Under administrative review of the Director of Men's Athletics, the Director of Women's Athletics and/or other designated supervisor, to organize and direct all aspects of an emphasized intercollegiate sports program, and to supervise all staff members involved in such a program.
NOTE: An emphasized sport provides significant and meaningful, although largely intangible, benefits to the college/university community, to the New Hampshire public, and to the institution. Such sports are those:
- which reflect the highest student and public interest (particularly from a spectator point of view)
- in which the likelihood of continued success in greatest
- in which, within the first two constraints, the net direct costs to the college/university are lowest.
The array of emphasized sports, and decisions as to appropriate levels of competition for each,
are to be continually reviewed. It is the Athletic Director's responsibility to recommend assignment of a coaching position to this classification; such proposed classification must be reviewed by the Personnel Department and approved by the President
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Supervise the organization, development, and maintenance of an intercollegiate team for an emphasized intercollegiate sports program.
- Plan for season including competitive schedule, i.e., facilities, officials, practice schedule, training and conditioning program; supervise travel arrangements fox away competition and travel extensively with the team to promote and coach individual games; prepare a check list of needs for each practice and each competitive experience.
- Develop a work calendar for all reponsibilities on a yearly, monthly, weekly, and daily basis.
- Be familiar with, interpret, and advise staff on all rules, policies, and regulations pertinent to the sport coached; develop strategy and tactics for play.
- Plan for equipment and supplies including uniforms, and other needs, maintenance, new orders, arrangements for storage in season and post season.
- Set-up and recommend policies on: extent of competition, extent of practice, sharing, of facilities and equipment, medical considerations; monitor and report to authorities any facility problem (lights, field conditions, safety hazards).
- Prepare budget recommendations; develop and set-up proper, workable record keeping system for budget and inventory.
- Generate student participants for the program; develop suggested guidelines for scholarships including criteria fox selection and equitable opportunity for sexes and sports.
- Help insure publicity through public release on a national and regional basis of opportunities available; prepare press releases; speak to community and other sports-oriented groups.
- Participate in in-service programs for coaches and officials; develop a coaching manual; keep current with literature on coaching practices, rules of sport; physiological and psychological sport applications; contribute and participate in professional organizations; serve on committees and attend clinics, conventions, and other meetings.
- Be well informed on care and prevention practices for injuries; personally oversee all aspects of the athletes' welfare.
- Develop remedial and learning opportunities leading to top-level competitive experience.
- Develop an evaluation process (short and long-term) including measurable program objectives, mid-season evaluation process, and assessing outcomes; develop near objectives and modify the process if appropriate.
- Advise and inform the Athletic Director of advanced planning and recommend program needs for development.
- Personally accomplish or delegate and oversee program recommendations of students as per their requests.
- Teach courses as assigned.
- Assist the Director of Athletics with administrative responsibilities as assigned.
- Coordinate the activities of staff members and/ox assistant coaches as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree.
- At least five years of coaching experience.
- Participation in the sport as coached as a player.
- Public relations skills.
- Ability to coordinate activities of staff.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience in coaching beyond minimum requirements.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience gained at the institution to be served.
Effective Date: 2/9/77