ATHLETIC COACH II
Function of Job:
Under administrative review of the Director of Men's Athletics, Director of Women's Athletics, or other designated supervisor, to act as Head Coach or as Assistant Coach of an intercollegiate sport.
- scope of coaching, administrative, teaching and service assignments.
- number of participants in sports in which coaching duties are involved.
- number of contests scheduled
- length of season of assigned sport programs)
- number of staff supervised
- degree of professionalism required for work assignment.
It is the Athletic Director's responsibility to recommend assignment of a coaching position to this classification; such proposed classification must be reviewed by the Personnel Department, and approved by the President.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Organize, develop, and maintain and intercollegiate team.
- Plan for season including, competitive schedule, i.e., facilities, officials, practice schedule, training and conditioning program; plan travel arrangements for away competition and travel extensively with the team; prepare a check list for each practice and each competitive experience.
- Develop a work calendar for all responsibilities on a yearly, monthly, weekly, and daily basis.
- Be familiar with all rules, policies, and regulations pertinent to the sport coached; develop strategy and tactics for play.
- Plan for equipment and supplies including uniforms, and other needs, maintenance, new orders, arrangements for storage in season and post season.
- Set-up and recommend policies on: extent of competition, extent of practice, sharing of facilities and equipment, medical considerations; monitor and report to authorities any facility problem (lights, field conditions, safety hazards).
- Prepare budget recommendations; develop and set-up proper, workable record keeping system for budget and inventory.
- Generate student participants for the program; develop suggested guidelines for scholarships including criteria for selection and equitable opportunity for sexes and sports.
- Help insure publicity through public release on a national and regional basis of opportunities available; prepare press releases; speak to community and other sports-oriented groups.
- Participate in in-service programs for coaches and officials; develop a coaching manual; keep current with literature on coaching practices, rules of sport, physiological and psychological sport applications; contribute and participate in professional organizations.
- Be well informed on care and prevention practices for injuries; personally oversee all aspects of athletes' welfare.
- Develop remedial and learning opportunities leading to top-level competitive, experience.
- Develop an evaluation process (short and long-term) including measurable program objectives, mid-season evaluation process, and assessing outcomes; develop new objectives and modify the process if appropriate.
- Advise and inform the Athletic Director of advanced planning and recommended program needs fox development.
- Personally accomplish or delegate and oversee program recommendations of students as per their requests.
- Teach courses as assigned.
- Assist the Director of Athletics as assigned.
- Coordinate the activities of staff member and/or assistant coaches as assigned.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree.
- Three years coaching experience.
- Participation in sport coached.
- Public relations skills.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience beyond the minimum requirements.
Effective Date: 2/9/77
*** NOTE: Revised - Original approved 9/14/76**