Under general supervision of designated supervisor, assist in the supervision of public works operations and operate all associated equipment, as required.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assign work and provide front-line supervision for pavement maintenance, construction, storage of material, support of underground utility distribution maintenance, snow removal/ice control, and refuse, recycling and solid waste disposal.
- Operate all equipment related to support requirements.
- Estimate equipment, materials and operator requirements for specific work projects; plan, and allocate equipment, taking into consideration project/maintenance requirements; schedule and supervise project until completion.
- Supervise personnel in activities related to pickup, loading, unloading, storage, disposal/delivery of goods, material and other college/university property.
- Assist with personnel hiring and job performance evaluations.
- Recommend to manager appropriate construction/maintenance equipment and supply needs.
- Supervise college/university special events, and maintain inventory control/appropriate records on special events inventory.
- Provide training and safety related awareness for all aspects of the department to which assigned.
- Provide data entry information for the department's landscape/grounds maintenance plan, pavements plan and departmental inventory.
- Recommend to manager modifications in procedures that may affect improvement in overall department productivity for grounds/roads.
- Report to work as required under emergency conditions, such as utility breaks and snow storms.
- Perform related duties, as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- High school/vocational high school graduation and four years experience in construction or utility work with related equipment.
- Ability to supervise work performed and ensure the proper use of all equipment/tools.
- Willingness to respond to off-hour calls for emergencies.
- Good communication, interpersonal and public relation skills.
- Must hold valid Commercial Driver’s license (CDL Blass B.)
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job, including heavy work with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to wear and use appropriate personal protective equipment, as necessary.
- Must pass drug and alcohol screening tests as mandated by Department of Transportation agency regulations.
System Approval: 12/6/04
Effective Date: 12/6/04
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.