ASSISTANT DIRECTOR OF DEVELOPMENT
Function of Job:
Under administrative supervision of responsible official, manage personnel, financial, and operational activities of portions of the college/university Development Program and/or develop, coordinate, and manage a significant development program for a college/university.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Direct and oversee the development and implementation of assigned fund raising program(s).
- Develop and maintain prospective corporate, foundation and individual donor lists.
- Cultivate and solicit gifts from prospects and meet assigned fundraising goals.
- Plan fundraising approach and oversee the preparation and distribution of proposals, fund appeals and promotional materials.
- Communicate effectively with all publics on and off campus, verbally and in writing.
- Serve as liaison between academic programs, college/university and various constituencies.
- Write promotional copy and prepare agreements and reports of results.
- Travel to various regional areas to present proposals, cultivate donors or upgrade relevant knowledge as assigned.
- Integrate academic development efforts with college/university fund raising priorities and activities through active communication and cooperation between administrative offices.
- Develop budget requests and manage assigned budgets.
- Recruit, hire, train, supervise, and evaluate support staff and volunteers. Represent academic programs, college/university at various development-related functions.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in Business or related field and three years of related experience in fund raising, communications, marketing, public relations, sales or other related field, including one year of supervisory experience.
- Marketing and organizational skills, with proven ability to represent ideas/concepts clearly and in written form.
- Tact, diplomacy and ability to work well with people.
- Effective communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Computer skills as required by department.
Additional Acceptable Qualifications:
- Master’s degree in Business or related field.
- Knowledge of the college/university to which assigned.
- Knowledge of relevant academic disciplines as applicable.
System Approval: 1/15/2007
Effective Date: 2/6/2007
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.
*** NOTE: Revised - Original approved 7/30/76 and revised 5/5/86. ***