Under general supervision of designated supervisor, to perform standard and computer assisted drafting (CAD) functions for department, maintain space management/inventory information, and maintain information in, and generate reports from, various computerized facilities/environmental management systems; assist with management and technical aspects of construction/renovation and in establishing campus-based standards for construction projects.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare and provide up-to-date CAD drawings for use by Physical Plant, contractors and various college/university departments for construction and./or renovation of campus properties and present designs to campus and external personnel/specialists as requested.
- Maintain/modify existing CAD drawings to reflect changes in facilities.
- Prepare reports on area, size and usage of various campus properties for departments/agencies requesting specific information.
- Take field notes/measurements, and perform survey work for purpose of producing construction originals and preparing CAD plans for user approval and/or other projects.
- Assist in review of construction documents prepared by others to conform to standards, specifications and accuracy.
- Provide technical support and research on construction materials, components and techniques, including pricing and building history, and share knowledge on sustainable design materials, systems and practices, energy efficiency, and best practices.
- Prepare various reports and studies, including ADA compliance/transition reports, space inventories and other facility management studies, as required.
- After conferring with campus clients and physical plant management as required, develop schematic design options based on existing environment and needs; assist client in selecting design, prepare detailed drawings and select materials as assigned.
- Maintain all facilities files which may include detailed building files, sitework files, floor plans, building system manuals, specification files and manufacturer’s warranty and catalog information using AIA categories format.
- Assist in management and/or perform tasks and projects in support of major construction/renovation projects, such as preparing lists, with sources, of all furniture/equipment required and determine building signage.
- Organize and maintain campus facility blueprints, utility maps, project manuals, specification books/materials, product literature and related facility information files.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of various CAD and other related computer applications by reading and attending seminars on current hardware/software applications.
- Assist in development and maintenance of the facilities computer information system for Physical Plant.
- Assist with department WEB page design/maintenance as assigned.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Minimum acceptable Qualifications:
- Vocational school graduation in Architectural/Building Trades/CAD or closely related field and four years of architectural drafting experience which includes computer assisted design, or combination of higher education in architecture/computer assisted design and work experience equal to six years.
- Computer skills including the ability to perform computer assisted drafting involving a high degree of technical skill in the preparation of complete drawings and database, word processing and/.or spreadsheet applications as determined by the department.
- Highly developed organizational skill and knowledge of AIA systems of filing.
- Ability to deal with wide range of complex professional, technical and project manager related tasks where frequent independent interpretation and decision is required.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, contractors and the general public
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Working knowledge of Life Safety Code 101, Fire Safety Codes, Building Codes, zoning regulations.
- Additional computer skills.
System Approval: 9/9/2002
Effective Date: 8/12/2002
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.
*** NOTE: Revised – Original approved 2/26/75 and revised 7/29/83, 2/12/88, and 12/1/93 as Architectural Drafting Specialist II, revised 10/16/98. ***