Function of Job:
Under general supervision of designated supervisor, to perform duties involving the planting, pruning, fertilizing, removal, and maintenance of trees and plants and to assist with snow removal and general grounds maintenance.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform tasks relating to the installation and maintenance of trees, shrubs, and flowers, including pruning, cabling, irrigation, insect/weed control and removal as required.
- Brace, prune and remove dead, diseased or insect infested branches for health, appearance, and safety.
- Fertilize trees and plants through the application of primary, secondary, and micro nutrients for plant growth via solid and water soluble root feeding or foliar sprays.
- Plant, transplant, and periodically maintain nursery-grown and wilding stock.
- Remove and eliminate dead trees for safety and sanitation, requiring knowledge of ropes, knots, climbing, and competence with chain saws.
- Supervise work crews to assure compliance with OSHA safety rules during tree removal.
- Perform tasks relating to the installation and maintenance of turf including mowing, fertilization, irrigation, insect/weed control, dethatching, seeding, sodding, aeration and site preparation.
- May propagate plants by taking cuttings, budding, and grafting if required by department.
- Maintain records of plantings or assist Gardener with records if required.
- Perform tasks related to construction, installation and maintenance of sidewalks, patios, retaining walls, benches, sign standards, stairs and sweeping of paved areas.
- Maintain cleanliness of grounds including litter control, leaf removal and sweeping of paved areas.
- Operate and maintain equipment to perform duties including tractors, one ton dump trucks, lawnmowers, line trimmers, blowers, chain saws, bucket tracks, rototillers, sand/salt spreaders and snow blowers.
- Assist with moving and special events as required
- Respond to storm related emergencies during winter months for tree work and snow and ice removal.
- Perform related duties as assigned within grounds area.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Two years of related experience.
- Arborist certificate for the state of New Hampshire or NH Landscape Certification required
- Knowledge of EPA standards and OSHA safety rules.
- Valid New Hampshire driver’s license. Current commercial driver’s license and bucket truck experience to 60' working height if required by department.
- Knowledge of integrated pest management methods.
- NH Pesticide license, Category G1 & G2 if required by department
- Sufficient strength and physical dexterity to perform duties and responsibilities of this job, including heavy work with exposure to inclement weather conditions for prolonged periods of time.
- Must be able to wear and use personal protective equipment as necessary.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Two years of specialized schooling in appropriate area.
- International Society of Arborists certification desirable.
- NH Pesticide license, Category GI + G2
System Approval: 2/1/2013
Effective Date: 2/1/2013
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.
*** NOTE: Revised - original approved 6/21/78 as Arborist, revised 11/1/96 as Arbor and Grounds Attendant. ***