Function of Job:
Under direct supervision, apply scientific method in performing routine laboratory analyses according to established procedures, assist in retrieving and reporting data, and perform regular maintenance, as it relates to the use of highly specialized instrumentation in support of the University research and teaching community and other clients.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Prepare samples for analysis.
- In conjunction with other duties, perform general instrument maintenance as directed.
- Perform routine measurements of samples using various techniques; e.g., scanning electron microscopy, transmission electron microscopy, energy dispersive spectroscopy, nuclear magnetic resonance spectrscopy, ultraviolet-visible spectophotometry, Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy, and tandem gas-chromatography/mass spectrometry and apply the scientific method in response to measurements.
- Receive, process, and log in samples.
- Prepare equipment, reagents, and supplies for testing and analysis.
- Retrieve and compile data according to established procedures and respond to requests for information.
- Maintain scheduling records and other records & reports as needed.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
- Bachelor's degree in chemical or biological science or similar relevant science.
- Computer literacy and computer skills including use of word processing, spreadsheets, and databases.
- Knowledge of laboratory safety, equipment, techniques, procedures, and language.
- Knowledge of metric system of weights and measures.
- Skill in using and cleaning laboratory instruments and equipment.
- Skill in reading and interpreting written directions and ability to follow detailed instructions.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience in a college/university environment.
- Additional experience beyond minimum requirements.
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.