Function of Job:
Under administrative review from a designated supervisor, to be responsible for facilitating the work of a major administrative unit by providing informational services/office management, and making decisions on a variety of essential management operations and related matters.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Consult with and counsel the head of assigned major administrative unit and/or other related staff members, in matters pertaining to management services.
- Assist in developing goals for unit, plan day-to-day operations, assuring that the work is compatible with the unit established goals.
- Perform, direct or counsel on work involved in providing or negotiating for a variety of essential management/facilities services.
- Supervise, coordinate, evaluate and review work of assigned staff members.
- Evaluate and recommend changes in methods and procedures within major administrative unit.
- Act as primary contact person and make independent decisions in matters involving other departments, units or organizations.
- Coordinate the unit's financial affairs, including budget recommendation, preparation, and expenditure control.
- Prepare reports on the unit's activities, and recommend future improvements in operations.
- Interpret and assure conformance with USNH policy and campus organizational procedures.
- Interview and recommend candidates for employment or termination.
- Coordinate the processing of the unit's personnel, payroll and purchasing forms with the appropriate departments.
- Serve on or chair committees, complete special projects, and oversee programs as assigned.
- Perform other related duties, as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree and two years of related experience.
- Knowledge of management/administrative principles, practices, methods and techniques.
- Supervisory ability.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written.
- Tact and skill in dealing with others.
System Approval: 8/23/2004
Effective Date: 8/22/2004
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.
*** NOTE: Revised - Original approved as Administrative Assistant II 1/16/75 and revised 7/30/80, 5/10/94, revised and title changed 12/27/97. ***