Function of Job:
Under administrative review of designated financial administrator, responsible for a specific accounting or other fiscal function of prime importance/impact, concerning a large group of accounts, either independently or through supervision of an assigned professional/support staff.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Plan, control and schedule work of assigned professional/support staff with emphasis on meeting all scheduled cutoffs and deadlines.
- Coordinate, prepare or supervise the preparation of financial reports, as assigned, requiring highly technical knowledge of fund accounting/automated financial systems, and the performance of detailed research and use of analytical review techniques.
- Design, prepare, ad interpret special analyses and reports of financial activity to identify various expenditure problems utilizing mainframe and microcomputer technology.
- Research accounting issues, summarize pertinent material, identify impact on institution/unit and initiate recommendations/actions based on account review findings.
- Supervise the opening/closing of accounts, and the processing, classifying, and monitoring of various accounting transactions.
- Respond to questions pertaining to USNH and/or sponsor policies/practices/procedures and communicate to those concerned with departmental/project management.
- Formulate and implement ongoing improvements to standard accounting systems, procedures and reports to assure the integrity of financial information reported and that USNH assets are safeguarded.
- Supervise the transfer of funds between accounts and the creation of journal entries to reconcile account and/or fund balances.
- Make decisions on questionable expenditures referred by accountants.
- Ensure that necessary files and records are properly/accurately maintained.
- Hire staff, evaluate their performance, and assure they are trained in latest procedures for processing/controlling new, unusual or complex accounting transactions.
- Assist external/internal auditors on matters pertaining to assigned accounts or functions.
- Develop methods for improving staff efficiency and work with appropriate administrators in the development, enhancement, and maintenance of accounting subsystems and administrative procedures to insure proper internal controls and operating efficiencies.
- Review all procedures related to concerned accounting functions to assure compliance with applicable state/federal laws and regulations.
- Maintain knowledge of latest developments and directions in accounting principles and reporting practices relevant to colleges/universities.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or closely related field and five years of related experience in accounting work.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Computer skills and knowledge of financial information systems as required by department.
- Supervisory experience.
Additional Desirable Qualifications:
- Experience in public accounting or financial reporting/analysis for a large, complex organization.
- Licensure as a Certified Public Accountant.
- Good knowledge of fund accounting.
System Approval: 5/11/12
Effective Date: 5/11/12
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.
*** NOTE: Revised - Original approved 10/1/75, revised 7/30/80, 1/24/90, and 8/23/04.***