Function of Job:
Under general supervision of designated supervisor, perform a variety of duties in support of a program and/or academic or student services operation, using independent judgment in applying/adapting departmental guidelines, policies and procedures, and where applicable, knowledge of sponsored programs.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide general program information, and assistance and/or research and conduct activities to support program and act for supervisor in matters of administrative detail as required.
- Communicate program related matters and/or specific policy information related to department and assist in up‑dating and/or developing policies and procedures.
- May be responsible for scheduling events such as class/laboratory room and time assignments, seminars, workshops, student interviews, facilities usage.
- Attend meetings of appropriate Boards/Committees as delegated, with ability to respond to questions concerning related office issues, and to report meeting content to supervisor.
- Assist in the preparation of brochures, handbooks, campus publications, periodic statistical and/or progress reports, hand‑outs, other written materials, and/or coordinate appropriate outreach and marketing activities as assigned.
- Maintain confidentiality in communicating sensitive information and in handling confidential materials.
- May be assigned special responsibilities in functions such as housing assignments, organizing grant and contract proposal materials, proctoring exams, assisting with registration, graduate/undergraduate degree auditing to verify completion of degree requirements, screening of admissions/financial aid applications, financial or educational background checks, academic advising, fundraising activities, and/or events such as commencement.
- Provide and/or supervise entry and retrieval of appropriate data, including invoices/payments related to areas of responsibility, utilizing existing programs, and monitoring budgets as required.
- Hire, train, supervise staff/student workers.
- Operate required equipment to support assigned areas.
- May assist with budget planning and training as required.
- May assist in researching issues regarding compliance with government and other external regulations and assist with compliance as required.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- High school graduation and five years of related experience involving progressive responsible duties requiring discretion and independent judgment or Associate's Degree and three years of related experience or a combination of higher education and related experience equal to five years.
- Ability to perform computer work and keyboarding duties as specified by hiring department/unit.
- Willingness to take campus‑sponsored work‑related short courses.
- Understanding of programming terminology and familiarity with computer‑based procedures.
- Experience in public relations, marketing, telecommunications or electronics as specified by department.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with faculty, staff, students, and the general public.
- College graduation.
- Completion of courses in related subjects at the college/university level.
- Supervisory experience.
- Experience gained in the institution to be served, or within the University System.
System Approval: 3/12/97
Effective Date: 3/24/97
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.
*** NOTE: Revised - Original approved 1/13/88 as "Student/Academic Services Assistant". ***