Function of Job:
Under administrative supervision of responsible official, to supervise, develop, and administer an academic/educational counseling program for a college, school, or division to meet students' needs regarding selection of academic curriculum and educational career goals.
Characteristic Duties and Responsibilities:
- Advise students in planning an academic program and choosing an educational or career goal, both individually and in groups.
- Be responsible for supervising and developing the, academic advising system of a school, division or college.
- Implement training programs for academic faculty advisor; identify and resolve problems with departmental advising structures.
- Plan, select, train, and conduct fall, midyear, and/or summer transfer and new student orientation programs.
- Conduct group career planning workshops and/or on- or off-campus educational outreach group sessions for potential students and/or general public.
- Administer special programs as assigned, such as student exchange programs.
- Prepare and disseminate information about academic options to students and faculty.
- Review and make recommendations on student requests for readmission; change of college/major; dual degree programs; warning, suspension or dismissal; student withdrawals or transfers.
- Maintain records, files, and appropriate data system.
- Review scholastic records and certify degree candidates for graduation.
- Compile and maintain statistical reports as required.
- Maintain ongoing liaison with related campus departments for student referrals.
- Represent the college, school, or division by serving on various committees as requested.
- Supervise office staff and/or other counselors as assigned.
- May award financial aid and/or scholarships to deserving students when this function is not implemented by a separate department.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Minimum Acceptable Qualifications:
- M.A., M.S., or M.Ed. required depending upon the mission of the school or college to be served.
- Four years of experience in counseling including both group and individual counseling techniques.
- Ability to relate well to students, faculty, and/or parents.
- Supervisory ability.
- Experience in a college/university environment.
Effective Date: 3/13/85
This document is a generic classification specification of the University System of New Hampshire. Its purpose is to describe the representative responsibilities and general level of complexity, and it is not a substitute for the specific job description of the individual position.
*** NOTE: Revised - Original approved 9/14/76. ***