Health & Wellness
There are numerous resources and benefits available for employees at the University of New Hampshire and through USNH. We encourage you to access and utilize these resources to support you in your health and wellness goals.
Current schedule of health and wellness events for UNH Faculty/Staff that are sponsored by UNH HR and/or other UNH organizations
|Drop-in Yoga Classes||UNH Faculty & Staff|
Starting Semester II, drop-yoga classes will continue on Friday's only at the Paul Creative Arts Center, Museum of Art from 12pm - 1pm. View the Healthy UNH website for details regarding dates.
|Weight Watchers @ Work program||Any member of the UNH/Durham Community|
UNH/USNH is sponsoring Weight Watchers @ Work program at UNH Durham campus.
Starting January 31st , UNH Durham will host another 17 week Weight Watchers @ work program for $186. In addition, this program will come with 19 weeks of FREE eTools.
January 31st will be an information/sign up meeting, and the series will be February 7, 2013.
Meetings are held every Thursday, from 12pm -1pm in the MUB, Wildcat Den. If you wish to join, please attend any meeting to sign up. Your fee will be pro-rated based on when you start.
Please note that for UNH employees covered by Harvard Pilgrim, you are eligible to be reimbursed for up to $200 per calendar year for Weight Watchers meetings (in person or online) as these are approved health education classes.
Wellness Resources Database
|Filtered by audience||View the very expansive UNH Wellness Resources database available for Faculty and Staff on the Healthy UNH site. It is searchable by audience or topic.|
Campus Recreation - located at the Hamel Recreation Center, Campus Recreation manages several campus facilities available to support you in being active at UNH. Some areas of Campus Recreation you can take advantage of as a Faculty/Staff member are:
- Indoor Pool - located inside the Field House
- Outdoor Pool - open during the summer, located next to the Hamel Recreation Center/Whittemore Arena
- Mendum's Pond - 200 acre pond and recreation area located in Barrington. Take your UNH ID card to the Hamel Recreation Center main desk and they will give you a sticker for free access to Mendum's Pond.
- Camp Wildcat - A day camp held on UNH Durham campus during the summer months for children in 1st through 7th grade.
- Group Fitness Classes - Campus recreation holds classes throughout the year that are available for a drop-in fee service, or at a reduced rate (if you are a member of the Hamel Recreation Center).
Employee Fitness Program - A gym facility located on the 2nd floor of the Field House. This gym is managed and operated by the UNH Kinesiology department and is open 5 days a week during the academic year and M/W/F during the summer months. The schedule is available on their website and free of charge to use the facility for UNH employees.
Healthy UNH - Formed in the fall of 2008 through a charge from President Mark Huddleston to improve the health of the campus community while decreasing healthcare costs, the Healthy UNH website has extensive resources and information to assist you in making decisions about health care facilities, medical testing, nutrition, and a very extensive searchable wellness database that provides health and wellness programming information available to students, Faculty and Staff at UNH!
SHARPP - Sexual Harassment and Rape Prevention office on campus provides services to victims/survivors of sexual violence, domestic violence and stalking regardless of gender, age, health status (including HIV-positive), physical, mental, emotional ability, sexual orientation, gender identity, or expression, socio-economic status, race, national origin, immigration status, or religious or political affiliation.
UNH Health Services - Offers traditional and hot stone massage therapy with licensed massage therapists to current UNH students and USNH faculty and staff. All massages are 50 minutes long.
USNH Health and Wellness - The USNH Health & Wellness programs and services are dedicated to educating, motivating, and empowering individuals to make healthy lifestyle choices. We encourage you to visit the various sections of their Health & Wellness website for health tips and resources for everyday use.
Some ongoing programming that is part of your core benefits that USNH and UNH HR promote for our employees are:
- Employee Assistance Program (APS Healthcare) website - Provides access to information and resources to enhance your life and personal well being. For information on personal growth, emotional wellness, parenting, managing change, self assessments, online training modules, and financial calculators, this site is a comprehensive resource for you and your family.
- Healthy Returns program - offered to all benefits eligible employees twice a year.
- Health Coaching - Get personalized, telephonic well-being support from a Harvard Pilgrim health coach.
- Smoking Cessation - Information and resources
- StressEraser - A small portable FDA regulated biofeedback device, about the size of a deck of cards, used by many people to mitigate stress by activating the relaxation response. Guiding the user through a series of simple breathing exercises, relaxation can occur within 15 minutes, calming the mind and relaxing the body. Sessions are held on the Durham campus several times a year. Participants of the 50 minute training session receive their own StressEraser tool to use for as long as they like. Contact HR at 862-0519 if you would like a session scheduled for you or your office.
- NH Governors Council on Physical Activity and Health
- State Walking Events - searchable database for walking events across the U.S.
- American Heart Association
- Nordic Walking: Overview
- The Walking Site
- U.S. Physical Activity Guidelines
- Harvard Pilgrm Wellness Connection - Info for UNH Employees
- USNH Health & Wellness
- UNH Health Services - Fitness & Excercise Information
- Healthy UNH
- Map My Walk