Employee Exit Information & Checklist

This information was gathered to provide you, an employee leaving the University, with information concerning termination.

Medical/Dental Insurance

You may continue medical and dental insurance coverage upon termination of your University employment.*  Information regarding your rights to coverage continuation under the Consolidated Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act (COBRA) will be mailed to your address of record.

Coverage will be discontinued effective with the last day of work but will be reinstated retroactive to that date if you choose to complete and return appropriate documents within 60 days, and submit premium payment as required under COBRA.

Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA)

Eligible expenses may be incurred up until termination date. You will then have 90 days following termination to file for reimbursement of eligible expenses.

Health Reimbursement Account (HRA)

Funds in your HRA account can be used within a period of 18 months following termination. Expenses must be paid for out-of-of pocket and then reimbursed, as the debit card will no longer be active. Approximately 30 days following termination an administration fee of 20% of the remaining HRA funds, not to exceed $100, will be assessed to the balance remaining in the account.

Life Insurance

During the 31 days following your termination of employment, you will be contacted regarding conversion of your group term life insurance policy to one of a number of policies provided by the insurance carrier without having to submit evidence of insurability. The policy will be effective at the end of the 31-day period and the premium will be the amount you would ordinarily pay if you applied for an individual policy. If you die during this 31-day period, the group life insurance will be paid whether or not application for an individual policy was made.

The Accidental Death and Dismemberment features of your policy cannot be converted.

Voluntary Life Insurance

Two program options are available to insured staff members upon termination.

  1. All employees under age 75 can continue with Tri-term under direct Billing from the insurance company with a small fee.
  2. All employees can convert policy to a whole life policy. This is the only option to those employees age 75 or older.

The insurance company will be notified by the University System of New Hampshire of your termination of employment. Upon notification, the insurance company will contact you in writing with information about the conversion/continuation process.


Long-Term - Long-Term Disability insurance coverage ceases as of your last day of employment. However, if you leave because of a disability, you may file a claim with the insurance carrier through Human Resources.

Short-Term - If you are enrolled in the Short-Term Disability income insurance, you may continue coverage beyond termination by contacting:

465 Medford Street
Suite 301
Boston, MA 02129
(800) 959-9931 


If hired or rehired on or after 9/4/02, employee will be vested in the retirement program after three (3) years of employment and active participation in the retirement program.

USNH Policy

7.2.6 Vesting of contributions. You are fully and immediately vested in the accrued benefits arising from your contributions. The vesting of accrued benefits attributable to contributions made on your behalf by the USNH is in accordance with the following schedule:

Completed Years
of Participation/Service
Less than 3 years0%100%
3 years or more100%0%

TIAA/CREF and Fidelity

If hired before 9/4/02 and enrolled in the retirement program before 6/30/03, you may take your TIAA/CREF or FIDELITY retirement accumulations with you after termination, including all benefits purchased by your own and the University System's contribution. Employees hired prior to 9/4/02 are not subject to a vested requirement (as long as they enroll in a plan on or before 6/30/03).


    Contributions made on a tax deferred basis, which are refunded to you, will be considered taxable income in the year in which they are received and, if you are younger than 59 1/2 years of age, the amount will be subject to a tax penalty.

Questions concerning withdrawal of funds or retirement income should be directed to TIAA/CREF or FIDELITY Investments either in writing or by telephone.

Teachers Insurance and Annuity Association 
College Retirement Equities Fund 
730 Third Avenue 
New York, NY  10017 
(212) 490-9000  
(800) 842-2777  
FIDELITY Distributors Corp. 
The Fidelity Building 
82 Devonshire Street 
Boston, MA  02109 
(800) 544-6666  

TIAA/CREF and/or Fidelity forms to request retirement funds distributions should be directed to:

USNH Benefits Office
Dunlap Center
25 Concord Road
Durham, NH  03824


Operating Staff Retirement Program

Operating Staff who were enrolled in the Operating Staff Retirement Program may receive their benefit beginning at age 62. Contact the USNH Benefits Office: 862-0930.

Tuition Benefits

If employment termination occurs during a semester, you are responsible for payment of a pro rated tuition charge if you, your spouse and/or dependent are utilizing the tuition benefits.

Vacation/Personal Leave or Earned Time

When you retire or terminate employment with the University under normal conditions, you will be paid for the balance of accrued Vacation/Personal Leave (30 day maximum for full-time PAT, EE, PA, AA and OS in Traditional Leave) or Earned Time (OS) available as of the last day of work minus the minimum usage. Submit your final leave record, with signatures of you and your supervisor, to your Business Service Center for processing. 

Unemployment Compensation

Employees who are involuntarily terminated may be eligible to receive unemployment compensation benefits. To facilitate the process of applying for unemployment compensation benefits, please designate your employer's mailing address as the USNH Benefits Office, Dunlap Center, Durham, NH 03824.

Listed below are two local office addresses.

Employment Security 
2100 LaFayette Road 
Portsmouth, NH  03801-5673 
(603) 436-3702
Employment Security 
243 Route 108 
Somersworth, NH  03878 
(603) 742-3600

Checklist for Employee Responsibilities:

  • Arrange for final check (or check stub) to be forwarded or picked up. Employee's final check will be mailed to the last address of record, if other arrangements are not made. If they want their final check to go somewhere other than where it has gone in the past they will e-mail banner.hr.office@unh.edu the following information: Name, Last 4 digits of the social security number, and the address where the check should be mailed. You will be paid for any unused vacation time/earned time in accordance with policy.
  • If you change your mailing address, notify Banner HR team, UNH Human Resources, 2 Leavitt Lane, in writing and include your social security number in order to receive voluntary correspondence and your tax with-holding statement (W-2). If you do not receive a W-2, contact Payroll at 862-1400.
  • Turn in your University identification card to Human Resources.
  • Return library books.
  • Return PCard
  • Return keys and office equipment to the department.
  • Contact Accounts Payable if you have outstanding travel advances/vouchers.
  • If you have been issued a personal authorization code to make personal long distance calls, contact Telecommunications to cancel your personal telephone authorization code;  email: telecom@unh.edu.
  • Parking Services will be notified of your termination date. If you have questions in this regard, please contact Parking Services at 862-1010.
  • Remove all business-related emails from personal phone (UNH Cell Phone Policy)

For Staff Employees Only:

  • Provide a written termination notice to your supervisor. A two-week written notice is required for Operating Staff. A 30-day written notice is required for exempt staff.
  • Complete the Exit Interview Survey.
  • You have the option to schedule an Exit Interview with UNH Human Resources (applies to Staff only).

If you have additional questions, please contact UNH Human Resources: (603) 862-0501 (voice), (603) 862-3227 (TTY).