Orienting Your New Employee
Orienting New Employees in Your Department/Office
Supervisors are responsible for orienting new employees to their position and their new department/office. Human Resources schedules new employees for attendance at "Getting Started @UNH", which is the orientation program for new hires that focuses on benefits, policies and resources at UNH to assist them in their successful transition to the University.
PRIOR TO ARRIVAL:
- Review IT Accounts Management and request a UNH IT Email Account for your new employee.
- Establish appropriate telephone accounts and request departmental telecom authorization codes if appropriate.
- Provide information/instructions so new employee can obtain UNH parking permit for their 1st day.
- Ensure their workstation/workspace is set up and ready for their arrival.
- Notify staff/department members of new hire and their start date.
- Be sure someone is scheduled to be present to welcome them on their first day.
- Arrange to introduce your new employee to:
- Department Head and Assistants
- Fellow Staff Members
- Primary campus contacts
- Assign a buddy/mentor for your new hire for the first few weeks to show them around the department/office and campus.
- Identify and record emergency contact information for new employee.
NEW EMPLOYEE'S ROLE
- Review position expectations and position description.
- Confirm employee is registered for and attends a Coaching for Performance overview session in their first 3 months. HR will register them for the earliest appropriate session (Coach or Coachee) available after their attendance at "Getting Started @UNH" orientation program.
- Review employee's performance at 3 month (OS only) and 6 month intervals. Coaching for Performance approach, process and forms are available here.
- Discuss the importance of his/her job for the department/office.
- Discuss the effect of their position on other areas.
- Discuss the effect other areas have on their position.
- Review the lines of supervision within department.
- Review their work schedule and department/office hours.
- Review the department/office lunch and break schedules.
- Review how to report absences (scheduled & unscheduled).
- Review process for department/office vacation requests.
- Review how to record time and attendance (if appropriate, based on system being used by your department/office).
- Review department/office procedures for attending classes during working hours.
- Discuss curtailed operations - explain if employee is considered "essential" or "non-essential" personnel.
- Review procedure for getting uniforms (if appropriate).
- Show location of lunch/coffee break area(s) in the building and surrounding areas.
- Show location of washrooms.
- Show location of personal storage area (if appropriate).
- Show location of campus mail pick-up/delivery in your building/office and explain process.
- Review department/office appearance expectations.
- Review the UNH Tobacco Policy.
- Review the making of personal phone calls and share resource for UNH telephone authorization codes.
- Review expectations regarding personal mail/e-mail.
- Explain what to do in case of accidents - who to contact, who to report it to (Worker's Comp., etc.).
- Explain what to do in case of fire, or other emergency - what are the evacuation routes, where is the department/office meeting up to insure all are accounted for.
- Explain any safety rules particular to the department/office based on environment (chemical, radiation, equipment, etc.)
- Have new employees register for UNH Alert system.
- Review computer workstation setup and contact Environmental Health & Safety's Occupational Safety Officer at 603-862-4761 to coordinate an ergonomic assessment of employees workstation (if appropriate) to assist in preventing repetitive use injuries.