Skip to Content Find it Fast

This browser does not support Cascading Style Sheets.

Facilities Find It Fast

Living @ UNH

UNH Damage Billingarrow

Part of the on-campus experience at the University of New Hampshire is living in Damagea community. Although challenging at times, learning to live with others is also extremely beneficial. One aspect of community living involves dealing with damage that occurs within a residence hall or university apartment unit. Unfortunately, damages do occur in buildings that require maintenance attention for no other reason than “someone broke it.”

The Department of Housing does not collect nor require a “damage deposit” when a resident accepts on-campus housing. Instead, the Department of Housing bills for each incident that occurs. It is our belief this encourages a sense of ownership in the building by the residents and improves everyone's ability to control costs.

Frequently Asked Questions About Damage Billingarrow

Q. Where can I find my semester housing damage statement?

A. On your UNH Webcat account.
Log into Blackboard >> select the "Webcat/Services" tab
Enter Webcat>> click on "Bill/Account Summary/...."
From there>>"View your student account"
Click the actual damage charge to view a detailed breakdown*.

The Department of Housing bills for damages that have occurred in the residence halls and apartments. The bill for Fall semester damages will be posted in early February and the bill for Spring semester damages will be posted in mid-June.

*only students viewing their own account have access to the detail breakdown

Q. What is considered building damage?

A. Destruction, theft, and vandalism to University property is building damage. University property includes furniture, walls, floors, and windows in student rooms and in common areas (stairwells, lounges, bathrooms, hallways). Extra cleaning above and beyond normal housekeeping services is also considered billable damage.

Q. Who is accountable for residence hall or apartment damages?

A. The individual(s) who is/are responsible for the damage is/are accountable for the damage. Every effort is made to identify the responsible party.

Q. Who helps determine responsibility for hall damages?

A. Students, Hall Councils, Resident Assistants, Hall Directors, Property Managers, UNH Facilities, University Police and/or Durham Police Department, and the Department of Housing are all involved in this process.

Q. How are residents educated/informed about hall damages and community responsibility?

A. Through floor meetings and monthly postings of damages that have occurred in the building.  Residents can also read a copy of the Room and Board Agreement. Reminders are also given in periodic residence hall newsletters. 

Q. Who can answer more in-depth questions?

A. If you are a parent, please ask your son or daughter
. If you have any further questions or concerns after speaking with your student, please give the Department of Housing a call.

If you lived in the on-campus residence halls, please e-mail Be sure to include your name, where you lived and any specific questions. We will respond as soon as possible.

If you lived in the on-campus apartments and have questions about damages, please e-mail Be sure to include your name, the apartment and which bedroom you lived in with any specific questions. We will respond as soon as possible.

You can also mail your inquiry to Department of Housing, 10 Academic Way, Durham NH 03824 or you can e-mail our offices at

Common Damage Billing Feesarrow

Extra Cleaning

The following are chargeable:

  • Removing food from carpets, walls, ceilings, stair, etc.
  • Removing sputum from walls, bathroom stalls, etc.
  • Cleaning food, tobacco chew, excessive tooth paste, etc. out of sinks/water fountains.
  • Cleaning excessive graffiti off walls.
  • Cleaning excessive shaving cream off sinks, stalls, floors, etc.
  • Cleaning hair that was left behind from a haircut done in the bathroom.
  • Any other similar cleaning.

Charge: $20 minimum -or- billed by the hour if Housekeeping includes this information.


The following are chargeable:

  • Emptying room trash into a bathroom trashcan.
  • Leaving room trash in the hallways or stairwells.
  • Leaving room trash in the lounges.
  • Emptying room trash into a lounge trashcan.
  • Pizza boxes not properly disposed.

Charge: minimum charge $20.

Rationale: Trash can leak on the carpets and create unsanitary conditions, and it has the potential to be a fire hazard. Students are responsible for disposing their own trash.

Biohazardous Matter

The following are chargeable:

  • Urine, feces, condoms or vomit
    • Any matter found in the UNH housing facilities.
    • Charge: minimum of $100 per instance (depending on the situation, may become a criminal investigation with the UNH Police Department)
  • Blood
    • Any blood clean up in bathrooms, hallways, walls, carpet, lounges, etc…
    • If the incident was accidental and an attempt was made to clean up, no charge will occur.
    • Charge: minimum of $100 per instance. Situations that are accidental will be looked upon differently than ones that are purposeful. For example, a person who had a nose bleed and bled in the bathroom will be treated differently than an injury, resulting in blood loss, due to drunkenness or violence.

Lock & Combinations Changes

  • Lock Change & Cut Keys (Residence Halls) $65
  • Lock Change & Cut Keys (On-Campus Apartments) $75
  • Combination Change $15
  • Damaged Swipe Card Reader $400-$800


Room Cleaning

The following is chargeable:

  • Students leaving for the year and did not clean their rooms

Charge: $50 minimum.

Other Charges

  • *Spring-loaded door hinge tampering - $40
  • *Screen Removal OR Screen Damage - $50 - $175 (depending on location)
  • *Life Safety Equipment (fire extinguisher, smoke detectors, etc) tampering - $100

*You are viewing pages printed from
These pages appear differently when viewed online.