President Huddleston's Healthy UNH Charge
The charge to the Healthy UNH Action Committee will be to address the following questions:
- How can we educate ourselves about health and related factors with a particular focus on the interplay between personal health practices, the work environment, and employee interaction with the medical care system?
- How can we encourage the best individual health practices among faculty, dependents, students, and staff?
- UNH spends approximately $40 million on medical care each year [employee and employer contribution]. What is the highest and best use for this investment? For example: do we know enough about the details of how we spend that money? Are we buying care at the best prices? Would we benefit by self-insuring? Should we consider providing some care on campus rather than purchasing it? How can we use information technology to enhance health care efficiency and effectiveness?
- What are the best practices and benchmarks among all USNH campuses, other universities, and other employers that we should try to emulate?
- How should we best prepare students as partners in their health and as educated purchasers of medical care?
- And most importantly, how will we measure our success as the effort moves forward?
- Key Resources
- Physical Activity
- Mental Wellness
- Health Care Consumerism
- Cost Variation
- Appropriate Emergency Room Use
- Avoid Duplicate Radiologic Testing
- Increase Generic Drug Use
- Use Independent Labs
- Healthcare Spending
- Establish a Medical Home
- Understanding Health Insurance
- Using the Health Education Benefit on Campus
- USNH Benefit Resources
- Health Blog
- Contact Us