Work Study at Business Services
College of Life Sciences and Agriculture
Years Worked at UNH:4
What does health mean to you?:Health, to me, is having a positive mind and outlook on life. Obstacles only help us discover new things about ourselves and seeing it as an opportunity, rather than a problem, can make all the difference. Being healthy is also finding the right balance between yourself and the environment, while respecting both.
What do you do to make a Healthy UNH?:I have been a work study in the Business Services office for over a year now, assisting parents and students with all of their questions. It’s a great feeling being able to help out UNH families with the billing process, and seeing the excitement of incoming freshman always puts a smile on my face.
How do you stay fit?:I stay fit by living the 80/20 rule. 80% of the time I eat clean, whole foods and the remaining 20% is for my favorite treats like lattes and DHOP. I also try to buy local and fair-trade products as much as I can. I walk everywhere on campus and rarely take the bus, and College Woods is one of my favorite places to run!
Do you have any tips for eating healthfully?:
Start with small changes! It’s easy to incorporate a small change a week, rather than doing a “cold-turkey” approach. Another tip is to know that you don’t have to be perfect! It’s great if you can eat healthy all the time, but it’s also okay to give into your cravings. That’s why I use the 80/20 rule. An 80 is still a B, so you can’t go wrong!
How do you find motivation to stay healthy?:I am a Nutrition major, so I’m always striving to learn the newest trends and topics in health. I also try to surround myself with healthy people. My mom recently lost 65 pounds, so we love to find new, healthy recipes and cook together. Jogging with friends is also a great motivator and gives you some friendly competition to push yourself!
Have you made any tangible improvements to your physical or mental well-being by making positive changes in your life?:This summer, I was inspired from a friend at home who had done a 5 week paleo/cross-fit challenge. I wanted to experiment and see how I felt after strict clean eating, so I kept a journal and tried it out myself. After only 3 weeks, not only did I feel like a brand new person, but I was also down 15 pounds. I have incorporated much of what I learned while doing it into my daily habits now. I have also found ways to cope with stress, like deep breathing and aromatherapy. Reduced stress has helped clear up my skin and decrease emotional snacking.
Anything else you would like to add?:
Being healthy is a habit! While diets make work in the short-term, a healthy lifestyle will give you a lifetime full of endless benefits. There are so many different ways to improve your health, so remember to take some time and dedicate it to yourself!
- About Us
- Health Cost
- Health Measurement
- Address the Stress
- Be Aware Everywhere
- Campus Fitness Facility Schedules
- Campus Fitness Map
- Campus Walking Guide
- Healthy Eating Guide
- Healthy UNH Video & Media Library
- Using the Health Education Benefit on Campus
- USNH Benefit Resources
- Wellness Resource Guide
- Wildcat Plate
- Wildcat Workout Project
- Yoga on Campus
- Healthy UNH Faculty and Staff Summer Outings
- I am Healthy UNH!
- National Prevention Strategy
- Contact Us