Splash into Summer!
Looking for a cool new workout during the hot summer? Why not try swimming? Swimming is fun and can be a great workout, not to mention it's way better on your joints than pounding the pavement. It's a low impact activity that uses your entire body against the water resistance. Swimming continuously keeps your heart rate up and builds endurance. The activity combines cardio training and muscle strengthening for a total body workout. As you are pushing yourself through the water, you are also improving balance, posture, and coordination. Along with being beneficial to your heart, lungs, and muscles, swimming also provides mental health benefits. It's a soothing and relaxing activity that helps ease your mind and relieve stress. Ready to get started? Here are some tips:
- If you are a beginner, start out slow and gradually increase the intensity of your workouts.
- Wear goggles. Opening your eyes under water can be painful without a pair of goggles, your eyes need protection from the harsh chemicals of pools and bacteria of lakes.
- Bring a friend. For safety reasons, it's best to swim with a buddy, especially if you are just starting out.
- Warm up and stretch your muscles before jumping in the water.
- Bring water with you! It may seem silly to need to bring water to a pool, but you can easily get dehydrated from extensive swimming.
For UNH Faculty and Staff, Campus Rec offers free, open swim hours.
For those rainy summer days, check out the Swasey Indoor Pool on campus. The pool's schedule is posted on the CampusRec website.
Start summer with a splash! Jump into swimming this year.
#UNH @UofNH @UNHCampusRec #WorkUNH